New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

1+1 makes pair! HELP!

Started by Elariel, February 17, 2009, 01:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elariel

I have just gotten two beautiful Hemichromis lifalili. They are currently in quarentine to make sure they are okay before they go in my 55g. To my surprise they are sharing the same hiding spot. I'm not used to this in cichlids, most of mine will enthusiatically chase the other fish away form their hiding spots

From what I have read about jewel cichlids they form strong pair bonds and it can be dificult to get two fish to who will bond. Does anyone have any experience with these cichlids? Do I actually have a pair or is this chummyness normal for red jewels?

Elariel

Okay so it turns out I do have a pair because less then twenty-four hours after bringing them home mom and dad have a nice little stash of eggs in their hiding place and are taking turns watching over them.

Now I need help, I thought I was going to have lots of time to read up on carrying of jewel cichlid fry before they spawned but obviously nature had other plans. How do I maintain the tank and clean the gravel as obviously I can't vaccuum it? When do I take Mom and Dad out of the tank? I have a simple hang on the back filter should I be looking of a different kind? What should I feed the fry?

I'm going to do some research today but any words of wisdom you can give me would be great!

Thanks