New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS Auction rocked!!!!!

Started by BermudaBorn, February 29, 2004, 07:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BermudaBorn

Hey there all you aquarium aficionados!!!  Well, that was my first auction and I had a lot of fun, the darn thing lasted forever, I left at 5:30pm, I am sure it went on for at least another hour.  The highlight of the afternoon was meeting other members on this board, who were shocked that I didn't look the way my name sounded!!!  HEHE!!!  That is just the way it is, what can I tell ya.  

All in all, a great time had by myself and all the others at the auction, what a fun time!!!  I bought some Phalloceros caudimaculatus, cool looking live bearers.  I also picked up some plants, which were hot sellers, anyone who grows plants for a living will make a killing at these auctions

If there are still any people selling Endler's livebearers, please give me a shout.  I gave that dude from Carleton University a few emails, but I guess he decided I wasn't worthy of owning his Endler's.  Maybe I'll give Dr. Endler a call at USC, see if he can jet me over some.  In any event, if anyone within driving distance has some they would like to unload, please give me a shout at .  

Cheers for that!!!

Jeffrey!!!!

cerickson

Actually..

Too bad i couldn't make it.. I really wanted to go.. but speaking of Carleton University, I am a student there, and I'm thinking of starting a fishkeeping club there.. hmmmmm

aidensmomma2000

I'm at Carleton as well  :D

I couldnt make the auction, stuff came up  :roll:

gvv

Thanks OVAS!

The auction was great (even I didn't buy much :lol: )
This event should be held more often...

Rick

I agree and auction should be held more than once a year

dpatte

We have an auction at every monthly meeting. :)

zapisto

The aunction was great , but i have some comments.

First , the auctionner have to understand , that it is not their job to determinate at which price an article will start.
that scandalous , that for some items , they start them a5 or 10$ and some other they start them at 2$.
and most of the time the item they start at 5 or 10$ is item sold by their friend.

if they cannot follow the rules change them

on the paper i got at the entrance , it is write the aunction start at 2$ and not , " the aunction at the price the aunctionner decide"

other than that, great Aunction, nice set of plant and good people there :)

Thanks Ovas for this great Aunction

Ron

Zapisto,

We had well over 600 lots to sell yesterday, and as one of the auctioneers, I can tell you that if we started each item at the minimum $2.00 bid, we would have been there until midnight.

The opening price has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WHO THE VENDOR IS; to suggest otherwise is incredibly insulting. We make an effort to get the best price we can for each item being sold, within the constraints of time limitations.

When an auctioneer feels that an item will sell for a higher price, we will ask for a higher opening bid. In cases where nobody was willing to start the bidding at the original asking price, we continue to lower the price until we have a bid. That is not scandalous: it is how an auction works. To make an extreme example, can you imagine the waste of time of starting the Eheim wet/dry cannister filter donated by Aquarium Services at a $2.00 bid? The same principle applies to all items up for auction.

It was an error on our part to suggest that each item would start at $2.00. What we should have said was that there would be a MINIMUM $2.00 bid for all items. We will be sure to clarify this in the future.

I'm sorry if you feel that our conduct was somehow underhanded, but that is simply not the case.

Ron Barter

zapisto

Quote from: "Ron"Zapisto,

We had well over 600 lots to sell yesterday, and as one of the auctioneers, I can tell you that if we started each item at the minimum $2.00 bid, we would have been there until midnight.

The opening price has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WHO THE VENDOR IS; to suggest otherwise is incredibly insulting. We make an effort to get the best price we can for each item being sold, within the constraints of time limitations.

When an auctioneer feels that an item will sell for a higher price, we will ask for a higher opening bid. In cases where nobody was willing to start the bidding at the original asking price, we continue to lower the price until we have a bid. That is not scandalous: it is how an auction works. To make an extreme example, can you imagine the waste of time of starting the Eheim wet/dry cannister filter donated by Aquarium Services at a $2.00 bid? The same principle applies to all items up for auction.

no offense,
i use to be direct all the time :)
and always say what i am thinking.
that doens't mean i am in the absolute true :) :)
it is just the way i talk , direct and  straigth :)

By the way , at montreal we do 1400 lots in the same amount of time :) :)

no my opinion is , if the seller didtn't think his lot worth a minimum bid, by respect to the buy and the general rules of an aunction , you must start at the minimum, and if you see lof of buyer go after direct to 5$ or ten as you do sometime (and this way i can say is very good) yesterday.

it is just frustration see you start some lot at 2 and some at 5 or 10 , only because you think it worth it.
when you think something value must start at 10 doesn't mean at all for somebody else it is the same. on top of that if the seller didn't put a minimum you can decide for him.
It was an error on our part to suggest that each item would start at $2.00. What we should have said was that there would be a MINIMUM $2.00 bid for all items. We will be sure to clarify this in the future.

I'm sorry if you feel that our conduct was somehow underhanded, but that is simply not the case.

Ron Barter

You are absolutely rigth.
and i am agree

just my 2 cents with absolutly no insult

dpatte

Great auction. My new tiger barbs and pearl gouramis look great :)

By The way, if people where successful at selling or buying items they already had listed in the classifieds here, please let me or marc know so we can delete those classified ads.

You can contact us by send us private messages (P.M.) or direct emails using the interface on this board if you like.

Marc

I don't have much to add to what Ron said except to say that I agree with him.

I think we should change next year's auction literature to state that the minimum selling price (not the starting bid) for a lot is $2.00.

The auction literature should also state that when auctioning a lot the auctioneer will suggest an opening bid appropriate to the anticipated selling price of the lot.  If that opening bid is not met the auctioneer will lower the suggested opening bid until a bid is obtained or the minimum selling price is reached.

Another note:  I will be asking the OVAS executive to consider changing the minimum selling price of a lot to $4.00 or $5.00 as most lots sold for at least that and because I believe that lots which sell for less than that should be bundled with other items in order to reduce the number of lots and thereby reduce the length of the auction.  I'd like to hear your opinions on this matter.

zapisto

well
if the rule is clear ... so no confusion :)

but i am not really agree hehehe just my opinion :)
the decision is own by the OVAS executive hehehe

can i Repeat  : GREAT AUNCTION

felicitation for all the efforts

Marc

Zapisto,

Merci pour tes commentaires.  Ils nous aident à améliorer notre vente aux enchères mêmes si on n'est pas d'accord sur tous les points.

Que pense-tu de l'idée que le prix minimum d'un lot soit 4 ou 5$ au lieu de 2$ ?

Marc

Julie

The Auction was impressive -I especially liked the plants.  WOW!!  
I wasn't able to stay for the bidding; but out of curiousity what price ranges did they go for if I may ask?

dpatte

plants sold from $2 to about $30 each depending on type. And has anyone ever seen a larger ruffled sword mother plant in their whole life!?

artw

Did it end up in your tank?
I didn't see it.  I spent most of my time either behind the cash or bothering Claude in the kitchen. hehe

Julie

Massive it was indeed.  We were trying to figure out ways to fit it in our 55 gallon other than remove half the aquascaping.  :?  But when we replant we'll definitely know where to look.  
Someone has quite the green thumb.  
Thanks for the info Dave.

Eirikre

Ya that was one mother of a sword.  I wish I could have brought some Endlers to sell but I didn't have a car.  I also wish I could have afforded to buy more junk I don't need.  I will be better prepared next year.

The Auction was great.  Thanks to OVAS and all involved.  I think the Auctioneers did a great job.  They kept things moving but still kept things light and friendly.  I liked that.

I also like the fact that the minimum lot price is 2$  There are so many fish and fish related items that sell for a fair price between $2-$5.  If they were bundled I wouldn't have bid on them.  I do understand though that if the auction were considerably bigger you might need to raise the minimum lot price in the convenience of time but I see no reason to do so at this time.

Thanks again, and I'm hoping to make it to one of the meetings comming up.  Of course I've said that before but have failed to make it so far.

Chow,

zapisto

Quote from: "Marc"Zapisto,

Merci pour tes commentaires.  Ils nous aident à améliorer notre vente aux enchères mêmes si on n'est pas d'accord sur tous les points.

Que pense-tu de l'idée que le prix minimum d'un lot soit 4 ou 5$ au lieu de 2$ ?

Marc

ok
let me tell you my point of view.

start the bidding price at 5$ is good for seller ..... yeah they will be happy
but for buyer , i dont think so

as Eirikre says :
QuoteI also like the fact that the minimum lot price is 2$ There are so many fish and fish related items that sell for a fair price between $2-$5. If they were bundled I wouldn't have bid on them. I do understand though that if the auction were considerably bigger you might need to raise the minimum lot price in the convenience of time but I see no reason to do so at this time.

you will by this method remove the chance for a lot peaople to get some stuff.

and an other reason is , what is the reason of ths sort of aunction ?
- make money ? - hope not
- share fish and plant in the hobby? - i hope yes
- finance a bit the club ? - yes of course , but the club is a Non-profit organisation , get some money for the club ok, but make profit no
- give buyer a chance put their on some rare species ? i hope also
- give a chance to buyer make money ? - hope not, but some items have a value sure , put a minimum , if someone want it , he know the value.

all this to say , you have to find a just middle , if not you will kill the aunction, or reserve it to a elite with money

concerning the plant , wow amazing
i got some nice mother plant , i am happy

regards

Marc

Zapisto and Eirikre, thank you for your input on the $4 dollar minimum.  You have moved me from "for it" to undecided.  I'm still seeking out opinions.

Quote from: "zapisto"
- give buyer a chance put their on some rare species ? i hope also
- share fish and plant in the hobby? - i hope yes
Absolutely, the aquarium hobby is OVAS's reason for existing.

- give a chance to buyer make money ? - hope not, but some items have a value sure , put a minimum , if someone want it , he know the value.
Different vendors have different motives.  For most of them the money they make reimburses them only for a fraction of the money they have spent on the hobby.

- make money ? - hope not
- finance a bit the club ? - yes of course , but the club is a Non-profit organisation , get some money for the club ok, but make profit no
To raise funds for the club. I don't think memberships dues even pay for rental for the room where the monthly meetings are held.   All money raised stays in the club.  Funds are used to buy books for the library, purchase equipement (such as the antiquated laptop the club bought a few years ago and the overhead projector).    When required funds are used to prepare the programs presented at the monthly meetings.  Funds are used to purchase the club's membership in CAOAC and to purchase insurance in case of an accident at a meeting.  Funds are also used for more mundane things like paying for the coffee and cookies we give away at the meetings.  

At the last meeting of every season the club treasurer makes a short presentation of the club's incomes, expenses and the year's balance.  The amount of money in the club's bank account is also shown.  Some years we spend more than we made other years less.  Any money left over is carried over to the next year.  At that meeting handouts of the financial details are available for those who want them.

All the rules are spelled out in the club constitution and club by-laws which have been presented to the members and will soon be on the website.

Hope this helps.

Marc