New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A little problem for my holding cichlid

Started by Thumpya, July 03, 2009, 10:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpya

Finally my Fuelbornii is holding. I have waited about 10 days before I decided to catch her and put her in a hospital tank, while I was chasing her I caught her placed her in a container and when I turned around to put the net down she jumped out ,right to the floor  :P
I grabbed her placed her in the water and she jumped again luckily I had my hand over the top. She is now in the tank alone How long do I wait to see if she'll open up? (If they didn't die in the tumble) She does appear to still have them, bulging mouth and all.and if she does open up do I remove her? Or does she stay with them ? I pray they're ok  ::)

cichlidicted

am kinda new to cichlids with only 1 cichlid that had fries in my tank.. however i'll tell you what i have...

I suggest you add something were the babies can hide like rocks or grass, where no other fish can reach them.... and seperate the mom, but do not add her to the main tank before 3-7 days, maybe place her in  a breeders cage/net thing.

i personally prefer stripping the fish in the 3rd week to ensure better probability in having them alive and to hold them till they are big enougy to be freed

goodlucl

Thumpya

Should I strip her of her eggs or leave it? and How do I do such a thing without hurting her? Also if she does spit them should I remove her from the tank?

slickshooter

This is always a topic of debate.
Personally I never strip my fish. It just seems too unnatural to me. If she decides to swallow the eggs for whatever reason she knows best. If she holds them to term, perfect.

When my females would have fry I would put them back into the main tank immediately or else they will actually eat the fry.
You could make sure there are some SMALL hiding spots where only the fry can get in and she can't you'd be ok leaving her in for a couple days but this isn't something I did.

Good luck and if you have any fry for sale think of me. :)

Thumpya

WOOT! my first fry ;)  she let the fry go :)  all 8 15 of them  :D