New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS tank drilling W/shop - Sat. Nov.14th

Started by charlie, September 23, 2009, 06:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

OVAS will be putting on a tank drilling w/shop in Nov. This is your opportunity to get first hand knowledge of how to drill your tank, please make every effort to attend as this will be the only one for the 2009-2010 season, we need a volunteer tank to drill one hole only, first person to PM me with a volunteer tank gets a free hole drilled
Disclaimer :Please note OVAS or the facilitator is not responsible in the event of any damage to the tank, you are volunteering your tank at your own risk.

Drill instructor:  Pierre AKA groupie02
When:  Saturday Nov. 14 TH 2009
Where: J.A. Dulude arena ( Mel Baker Hall) 941 Clyde Ave
Time: 11.00 AM
Duration: approx 1 hr
Admission: OVAS members free, all others $5.00
Please indicate your intention of attending in this thread , so we have an idea of how many will be present.
Happy drilling

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=39316.msg233096#msg233096

charlie

Update:
groupie02 has graciously agreed to drill  a few extra holes for folks who might be in need of his service after the workshop @ 20.00 per hole, he will be available for  approx 1 hr after( until 1.00PM)

OttawaFolkFestivum

As part of this, would it make any sense to have a group order for the drill bit for those interested? Just throwing it out there...
Cheers, Steve

charlie

Quote from: OttawaFolkFestivum on October 01, 2009, 03:40:54 PM
As part of this, would it make any sense to have a group order for the drill bit for those interested? Just throwing it out there...
That would be a good project for a member to organise .The club does not organise group orders at this time.

OttawaFolkFestivum

Could someone recommend a supplier and part number? For a typical glass drill bit? Local or on-line?

I mean, I don't really have a clue - I haven't done it before.

If this will be covered in the workshop then that's perfect, I can wait.

Tanks, Steve.
Cheers, Steve

groupie02

johnrt

I would be interested in a group order. I will need both a largeish and a smaller bit. We might organize it right after the demonstration.

It probably should be posted on the 'Group Order' forum for a day or so before the demonstration and the Sunday after, then closed and ordered on the Monday.

If nobody has volunteered a tank, a 10 mm sheet of glass could stand in for a tank. A very shallow tank. Difficult to tell if it leaked. . .

John T

Vincenzo.

remember, i got a tank for y'all to drill as many holes as you want.

groupie02

what's with your tank?  is it broken or do you really need lots of holes?

Vincenzo.

no im just supporting the cause.

it's a perfectly, 100% fine, good condition 10g tank.

charlie

Quote from: charlie on September 23, 2009, 06:34:40 PM
OVAS will be putting on a tank drilling w/shop in Nov. This is your opportunity to get first hand knowledge of how to drill your tank, please make every effort to attend as this will be the only one for the 2009-2010 season, we need a volunteer tank to drill one hole only, first person to PM me with a volunteer tank gets a free hole drilled
Disclaimer :Please note OVAS or the facilitator is not responsible in the event of any damage to the tank, you are volunteering your tank at your own risk.

Drill instructor:  Pierre AKA groupie02
When:  Saturday Nov. 14 TH 2009
Where: J.A. Dulude arena ( Mel Baker Hall) 941 Clyde Ave
Time: 11.00 AM
Duration: approx 1 hr
Admission: OVAS members free, all others $5.00
Please indicate your intention of attending in this thread , so we have an idea of how many will be present.
Happy drilling

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=39316.msg233096#msg233096

It`s this Saturday folks, come on down  ;)

Vincenzo.

i shall be there with the tank to be drilled.
i will also bring the canopy & PC light for it.
and a piece of nice lava rock

it can be all bought as a package.

all proceeds will go to OVAS.

SO someone BETTER buy it all :D

charlie

Great initiative Vince, thank you.

If anyone coming to the w/shop on Sat. would like to purchase a club membership and or tickets to the grand XMAS banquet please do let me know, as i would need to get the relevant forms/cards & tickets form the respective chairperson.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=39594.msg237409;boardseen#new
http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=83

RoxyDog

Wow Vince, thanks that's very nice of you!
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

groupie02

Quote from: charlie on October 01, 2009, 03:12:20 PM
Update:
groupie02 has graciously agreed to drill  a few extra holes for folks who might be in need of his service after the workshop @ 20.00 per hole, he will be available for  approx 1 hr after( until 1.00PM)
I forgot to reply to this very old post when it came up.  The $20.00 is the regular price... let's just say that we'll have a hole sale tomorrow morning.

See you then

charlie

Thanks to the members who came out today, groupie02/Pierre discussed everything about drilling & bulkhead options, thanks Pierre.
Vince sorry you missed it, the donated tank was not drilled but was bought by Pierre for a marine project,thanks for the donation.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?action=gallery;cat=60

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vincenzo.

im sad i missed this, but glad all went well.

groupie02

some folks expressed interest in information regarding the drill bits used for our tanks.  Here's the information:

Diamond Hole Saw size 60mm = 1.5 inch Bulkhead
Diamond Hole Saw size 45mm = 1.0 inch Bulkhead
Diamond Hole Saw size 38mm = 0.75 inch Bulkhead

I get my bits on eBay from lau*** of THK Diamond Tools.

Good luck to everyone

OttawaFolkFestivum

Thanks Pierre for sharing a lot of information and experience. I learned a lot, and had a good time discussing with everyone there. Now there are a lot of tanks in Ottawa that are about to be drilled!
Cheers, Steve

Bob_S

Thanks Pierre;

The presentation was very informative, thanks for spending the time with us.  You made the drilling look easy but I'm sure it took a lot of practice to get it right. I spent part of today at Canus Plastics and a pool store checking out fittings for my overflow. Maybe at on of the scheduled meetings someone can do a presentation on a closed loop system.
120g  Yellow Labs, PS Socolofi,  Neolomprologus leleupi , compressiceps Chaitika
30g Albino Pleco's
30g Planted, 10g cherry shrimp