New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

a little help

Started by Thumpya, December 21, 2009, 08:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpya

I have a 90g tank with African cichlids, but as of recently one of the older ones seems to be looking like he's drying out , his scales are flaky and he kind of lost his color. My water quality is fine, I do frequent water changes on a weekly basis. 30%.also he's still active and eating  It's hard to capture on cam but I'll try. Any suggestions??

[attachment deleted by admin]

Demasonian

Hi Thumpya - Hard to say definitively, but from your photos, it looks like war wounds. His fins appear a little tattered, the flaky scales are probably a result of fighting and colour loss is likely due to stress. Have you noticed any increase aggression from some of his tankmates?

taim_30

I'm thinking the same thing.  If you added any new fish, the hierachy of the tank might have been displaced.

Has the older fish's behavior changed recently, such as eating patterns, where he swims in the tank, does he hide and avoid others?
125 gallon: Labidochromis Caeruleus, Metriaclima Estherae (Blue x Red), Labeotropheus Trewavasae Chilumba,  Pseudotropheus Acei Itungi, Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga, Melanochromis Perileucos,  Pseudotropheus Perspicax

75 gallon: Pseudotropheus Kingsizei, Metriaclima Estherae, Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga,  Pseudotropheus Flavus, Melanochromis Vermivorus, Petrotilapia Chitimba, Pseudotropheus Polit

Currently breeding: Pseudotropheus Kingsizei,  Pseudotropheus Flavus, Metriaclima Estherae, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Labeotropheus Trewavase Chilumba, Melanochromis Perileucos