New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Another n00b

Started by HomerJ, February 20, 2010, 08:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerJ

Hi all:

Just thought I'd semi-formally introduce myself.  I'm new here (as you'll probably see from the questions I'll ask!).

The tought of having fish at home never occured to me until this year, when my daughter asked for an aquarium for Xmas.  Sure, I've had one when I was 10-12 years old, but sadly fish didn't last long.  So I (I mean Santa) got her a 10 gallon, basic setup with 2 Fantail Goldfish.  I started reading about proper care, started browsing the forums, and kind of got hooked!  (I also understood why the fish I had when I was a kid never lived for a long time.  It's actually surprising they lasted that long!)

So I'm currently at the first stage in the addiction (fresh water, gold fish, no plants), but slowly moving forward.  We visited "La Niche" in Gatineau recently (yes, I live across the river on the Quebec side) and my wife and I were in awe over some of the stuff the have there.  She is ok with taking the plunge with me for something like a ~50G (unfortunately that's all the space we have), Salt water/Live rock setup.

I'm taking my time to do my research properly, as I don't want to buy stuff I'll want to replace in a month, nor do I want to kill anything due to my lack of research!

So that's me, get ready for some n00b questions in the salt water forum some time soon!  (And yes, I'll use the search tool first  ::)

Hookup

haha... it all starts with goldfish...

Looking forward to another member of the addiction... and 55g is a great size of a system!  You'll limit yourself to some of the smaller fish, but it's not really a "limit" or a problem... there are some truly sexy systems out there in 40g/50g sizes... and man, the nano's are just unbelievable at times.

Fishnut

Welcome!

You'll find a fountain of info here from the salt water fanatics. 

On the subject of goldfish though, you might just need that 50 gallon for them :).  Those guys (believe it or not) are supposed to grow to the size of baseballs!  Also, contrary to the popular rumor, they're one of the most difficult fish to take care of due to the amount of waste they produce.  If you're having success with them, then you'll do just fine with salt water!

HomerJ

Quote from: Fishnut on February 20, 2010, 04:29:38 PM
Welcome!

You'll find a fountain of info here from the salt water fanatics. 

On the subject of goldfish though, you might just need that 50 gallon for them :).  Those guys (believe it or not) are supposed to grow to the size of baseballs!  Also, contrary to the popular rumor, they're one of the most difficult fish to take care of due to the amount of waste they produce.  If you're having success with them, then you'll do just fine with salt water!

Yeah, I know about the size... they have some pretty scary sized goldfish at "La Niche", and I remember the indoor ponds we had when I was working for Nortel (you know, when they still had money?).

With regards to having success, all I can say is that they lasted since Xmas, which is not saying much.  I got used to regularly testing my water and (knock on wood), it's been pretty good so far.

Vincenzo.

welcome to the dark, i mean salt-side.... u got questions, we've got answers :D

holachicka

Welcome to OVAS - I am sure you will enjoy this community as much as I have!

RoxyDog

Hi and welcome (and thanks for using the search function first! ;)  ;D)!
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

mkowals2

Welcome to OVAS! Good luck with your salt water adventures!

-Mike

QueensU

We were all noobs at one point or another! You will love saltwater.. very addicting!

new2salt

Quote from: QueensU on February 23, 2010, 11:33:13 AM
We were all noobs at one point or another! You will love saltwater.. very addicting!
How true, I too was a freshie, long long ago.
Got out of the hobby for about 15 to 20 years.
Back in and hooked on salt.
Quote from: RoxyDog on February 23, 2010, 09:25:49 AM
Hi and welcome (and thanks for using the search function first! ;)  ;D)!
It really is the best way to start.
Hope you like research and reading.
Your adventure starts NOW ;)