New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

high volume pumps for huge pond project

Started by ED209, February 24, 2010, 05:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ED209

hi

My boss just bought a new house in the country and on the property is a huge pond the surface area is close to 275 feet x 150 feet and he says it 10 feet deep and spring fed but there is no stream flowing into it on the surface. he would like to add a huge water fall to get the water moving for building the water fall is not a problem as we are landscapers and have all sorts of machines to move rock and earth but the plumbing side might as well be rocket science he wants to move way more water than your average pond pump will move
by my math the pond holds over 3 million gallons so a 50000-100000 gph water water fall sounds about right

long story short I'm looking pumping suggestions

i cant wait till the snows gone so we can get started
thanks

ciaus

Quote from: ED209 on February 24, 2010, 05:04:32 PM
he would like to add a huge water fall to get the water moving for building the water fall is not a problem as we are landscapers and have all sorts of machines to move rock and earth but the plumbing side might as well be rocket science he wants to move way more water than your average pond pump will move by my math the pond holds over 3 million gallons so a 50000-100000 gph water water fall sounds about right

long story short I'm looking pumping suggestions    
ED209, well this isn't quite rocket science, but it does come close in terms of mathematics.  The hydro formulas used to calculate flow rate through a given diameter of pipe or hose take into account the elbows, and the friction caused by the material of the pipe/hose, not to mention head height etc.  I don't personally remember the formula that lives at the heart of calculating friction and flow rates, but if you stop at any local firehouse, with a pumper, they will be able to run the numbers for you.  What I mean is that if you have 150 feet of fire hose, that needs 100psi at the nozzle, then the pump pressure needs to operate at 120.66PSI to deliver 60GPM.  The same distance with a 2.5" hose will only require a pump pressure of , if memory serves, 50PSI to deliver the same flow rate.  My advise to you would be to determine how far you need to move the water, horizontal and vertical, then figure out what would be the most cost effective method to deliver the required flow rate that distance.  From those numbers you should get a flow rate to which you can match pump specifications.

HTH