New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rapid LED

Started by RossW, March 14, 2010, 08:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

I have spoke to Rapid LED and they do group orders and it depends on quantities and items.  The discount is typically in the 5-10% range.  Also, we would be able to split the $30 shipping.

Please post what you are interested in and I will get the numbers back to Rapid LED to see what they can do.

I am interested in:
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-28/24-Premium-LED-DIY/Detail
24 Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers
$279

Used for a 40g breeder w/ egg crate shelves.  Thus not truly 16" deep.

I have not decided on the angle of the lens yet.  This will be for a shallow frag tank so I am inclined to go with a wider angle.

I would also consider a heat sink group buy if there is interest.

Ross

JetJumper

I am interested in:
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-28/24-Premium-LED-DIY/Detail
24 Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers
$279

Options:
Lens @ 40 Degrees (IN BLACK, not white)  *** CHANGED TO 40 DEGREES****
2 Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable drivers

I will pass on the heat sink idea as my setup is space confined.  I have to come up with some crazy other way to do it.  But I have idea's already.

Used on this

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

groan

can you guys also say what it will be sued for so we getr an idea?
im hoping to eventually find a main light for my 4 ft 75 gallon. (standard size)
I guess thats 18 inches deep.
what would be recommended?

RossW

Depends on what you plan on keeping in your 75g.

This guy on RC used 48 LEDs for his 75g but did not use lenses.  He admits lenses would have helped but decided against it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1587273

Quote from: groan on March 14, 2010, 09:10:33 PM
can you guys also say what it will be sued for so we getr an idea?
im hoping to eventually find a main light for my 4 ft 75 gallon. (standard size)
I guess thats 18 inches deep.
what would be recommended?

nissannx

groan

Quote from: RossW on March 14, 2010, 09:31:16 PM
Depends on what you plan on keeping in your 75g.

This guy on RC used 48 LEDs for his 75g but did not use lenses.  He admits lenses would have helped but decided against it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1587273

i want that!
wow.
i need some money, fast. who, er what can i sell?

KrazieCanuck

When are you placing the order?  I might get in on it.

RossW

I am in no rush to place the order.  At this point trying to get an idea of interest so that we can get an estimated discount from Rapid LED.

I would like to get back to Rapid LED by the end of the week and then give people another week to commit.

Quote from: KrazieCanuck on March 15, 2010, 12:15:45 AM
When are you placing the order?  I might get in on it.

JetJumper

yeah, I am not in a huge rush either..  I honestly can't afford it right now, but maybe in a month.

Vincenzo.

Im interested ross. But im a little busted right now. So if u guys do it in a bit, im down for sure..

Severum

All those kits are for XRE Q5 LEDs. Cree has recenty come out with XPG LEDs which are the next level up. If we can get kits with those guys it would be more beneficial. I don't see them on rapidled at the moment though and they don't come in blue right now. If this order isn't happening right away it might buy us some time for other colors of XPGs to come out.

Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Vincenzo.

Word. Those new ones are briiiight

RossW

Has Cree anounced when we might see blue XPG LEDs?

Could you mix white XPG and royal blue XRE Q5 in the same setup?

Quote from: Severum on March 15, 2010, 12:17:11 PM
XPG LEDs...and they don't come in blue right now

bitterman

Quote from: RossW on March 15, 2010, 01:28:53 PM
Has Cree anounced when we might see blue XPG LEDs?

Could you mix white XPG and royal blue XRE Q5 in the same setup?

You should be able to since you normally run the Blue on one driver and the White on another LED driver. That being said are the new XPg's are driven at 1500MA instead of 1000MA  MAX for XRE's so you would need a different LED driver anyways? Do they have a driver for the NEw LED's yet? Or woudl we just underdrive them at 1000Ma. What light spectium and brightness would they provid when deing driven at 1000MA?

Bruce

JetJumper

I think its going to be a bit honestly before you see them on the market.  Worst case, buy these now, build the unit, when the others come out sell your already made one and purchase the new ones :)

RossW

Further on the thought of just jump in and see what the water is like...

I wish there was more information out there but it is all pretty new so I am not able to find much definitive on what degree lens to get, how far to place the LEDs from each others, what WILL work for configuration X, i.e.: keep a clam alive, etc.  I am just looking to get one setup and find a PAR meter and get some readings, see some colour, and growth!

I am viewing this as a learning experience and it will allow me to play with the technology.

I think trying to time an LED bulb purchase is like trying to time a video card purchase for your PC... there is always another new card 6 months away which is going obsolete your purchase.

Now, if we can wait 4 weeks and get better bulbs, I am willing to wait... but just this time  ;)

Quote from: JetJumper on March 15, 2010, 01:58:09 PM
I think its going to be a bit honestly before you see them on the market.  Worst case, buy these now, build the unit, when the others come out sell your already made one and purchase the new ones :)

Canoe

Brighter than, ....
How bright is enough...
How many to saturate at what depth...

The pain is it should be easy to have the intensity pattern of an LED device, and with various lenses, and a spreadsheet should be able to give one the spacing to achieve a given par at a given height and drive current. I can't do the math and so far I haven't convinced the guy I know who can, to be interested enough to develop the spreadsheet.

Brighter is better, as you can always dim them down; and, they'll lose light intensity over time, so as they fade you can dial them up to compensate.

Will they do a split order of dimmable by voltage or dimmable by PWM?

KrazieCanuck

Quote from: Canoe on March 15, 2010, 02:22:11 PM

Maybe stupid question, but what is the difference.  How do each work?  Which is better, how is each installed?

RossW

No clue.  You will need to contact them.  I found them very helpful and fast to reply to emails.

Quote from: Canoe on March 15, 2010, 02:22:11 PM

JetJumper

Quote from: KrazieCanuck on March 15, 2010, 02:38:45 PM
Maybe stupid question, but what is the difference.  How do each work?  Which is better, how is each installed?

Mean Well ELN-60-48P dimmable driver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver
1-10V Variable.  Supply it with 1V it will turn on 10% power.  Supply it with 10V it will be at 100%.  This is a separate circuit
to the power that drives the LEDS.