New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Most users online

Started by ajm1961, March 17, 2010, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm1961

I'm just curious - what exactly prompted 599 users to come online at past midnight on August 7, 2008? Was it a challenge by OVAS, some special event, or just pure coincidence?
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Brent Shaver

Sounds like one too many beers...lol

HappyGuppy

Seems odd.  I don't have any clue, so don't take what I am saying as an "answer", just a speculation.  For it to have happened after midnight would be unusual, assuming the clock was set correctly for ottawa time (if GMT then more plausible).  My thought would be possibly a server update/reset/maintenance triggered all registered members to appear to register as though online.  Again, it is just a speculation, but I would bet money that it is in the correct ballpark.  That's my three cents (with inflation).

ciaus

Brent/HG:  Don't you guys remember we did that just to mess with someone who would go trolling system stats....sheesh you guys have such poor memories.

Ciaus

mseguin

If I remember correctly it had something to do with a large number of spiders/bots being on the site at that time.

ajm1961

Then, if this number does not reflect actual users online, can it be refreshed so that a proper 'most online users' statistic be presented at the bottom of the screen?
Whenever you have a spare moment Mr. Webmaster! (as if...)
Cheers!
;D

cichlidicted

I agreee .. i asked that question once on the shout menu , but recieved no answer .... the only reason i can think of is a guest speaker (live chat) but still, that can't get 500+ ppl ...

Nerine

I believe it was spiders and bots, so it set the number high!

I think if it's reset, the same thing will happen again, it'll just shoot up...if you check out who's online, you'll see that they linger sometimes
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

fischkopp

Quote from: mseguin on March 19, 2010, 11:24:22 AM
If I remember correctly it had something to do with a large number of spiders/bots being on the site at that time.

That would be correct. There was no special event involved, just a new spider crawling the web.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

ajm1961

What's the point of having a statistic that means nothing... if resetting it will only provide a reliable number on a temporary basis (until the next spider/bot comes around), then this statistic should just be removed.

FocusFin

Quote from: ajm1961 on March 20, 2010, 09:22:46 PM
What's the point of having a statistic that means nothing...

Statistics mean nothing...two fifths of five percent of people know that!
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

ajm1961

Stats mean nothing?
I suppose that's why so many companies and political parties spend big bucks on polls and surveys...

Anyhoo, that's the last I have to say about the 'most users online' - I'll just ignore it from now on. Cheers.

FocusFin

Quote from: ajm1961 on March 21, 2010, 02:28:50 PM
Stats mean nothing?
I suppose that's why so many companies and political parties spend big bucks on polls and surveys...

Easy there...it's just a quote from a Simpson's episode.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

ajm1961

I must have been on a 'bad doughnut' day.. DOH!

FocusFin

...mmmm....sprinkles.

[attachment deleted by admin]
110g saltwater/reef