New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Absolutely Devastated NEED HELP PLZ

Started by Brent Shaver, June 27, 2010, 04:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Shaver

Thanks again all, I have been running it over and over in my head and nothing makes sence.  Considering there was active breeding happening, Bruce mentioned possibly the males went overly aggressive and went on a killing spree.

But I would think that would leave at least a male alive but again who knows.  It is and always will be a mystery.

As far as all the offers recieved for fish, Thanks you greatly.  I think I am going to try and keep what is left alive and see what happens for a while.  If I lose the rest I will be shutting down the tank and doing a complete overhaul, will do a deluted bleach wash and redo my 2 filters.  Then in a couple months I will try and restart it.  Just dont want to start again before I know everything is going to be ok.

I have to clean one of my filters out completely tonight and try to get the water back to normal as it is still milky but not as bad.  I will clean the rock work and leave it out for now (for the record when I say boil, it wont be in a pot on the stove but more of a rinse and scrub with boiling water).  Although I will boil all the bio balls in the one filter and start it from fresh.

Anyway another chapter in the life and times of fish keeping.

Not going to give up  but might take a break for a bit to get over this one.

Thanks again all.

washefuzzy

Brent I'm so sad to hear of your lost. Wishing you luck in keeping the others alive. Enjoy the medicinal rum!

FocusFin

Quote from: Brent Shaver on June 28, 2010, 09:36:34 AM
Anyway another chapter in the life and times of fish keeping.

Not going to give up  but might take a break for a bit to get over this one.

Sorry to hear.

It seems like a lottery sometimes, everything's running fine until you turn your back and wham!

Dust yourself off and get back on the horse :)
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Lisachromis

Wow.  I know what you're going through. I had a very similar situation before many years ago.  I came home from an ACA at 2 am on a Monday night and came into this horrific smell coming from my kitchen (which is where the tank in question was).  I noticed some of the fish seemed whiter than usual. I turned on the lights and the sight that greeted me was something I'll never forget.  Dead fish everywhere!!!!  I think I had 3 fish survive. I was scooping up dead fish into a bag to throw outside since they were too big to flush.  Then it was water change after water change until the large majority of the smell was gone. I think it was like 5 am before I went to sleep.  I did have someone in to check my fish, but they always came in after it was dark and didn't want to wake the fish.  They had thought my cat died and they tried looking for it but couldn't find it.

My personal thought is that one of my bigger fish died and caused an ammonia spike or something and that slowly killed the others and it started a cascade of death! :(

I know I cried myself to sleep that night. I lost a lot of really nice cichlids. But, as you see, I'm still in the hobby. So it does get better. 
Lisachromis

fischkopp

Sorry to hear about the disaster, Brent. As discouraging as it might be, don't give up on it. Throwbacks happen to all of us ...

Given the short time in which things went down, I would check the equipment closely:
- heater failure?
- filter failure / blockage
- aeration?
- was there a power outage?

Do you have enough filtration/aeration to begin with to handle higher loads?
Did you starve your fish prior to the last WC before leaving, and didn't have someone feeding them in between?

Just thougths to avoid this happening again.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

On another note I am going away for a week. When I go I have someone come in twice a day. I package up food for each tank and mark AM/PM. I also give them a number of contacts of fish hobbyists for an emergency. They have mine of course. Before I go I do a WC but 2 days before to see if everything is fine. I double up on Prime too. I check filter flow through I learned the hard way on that. The tank had 3 filters but one was a HOB. The sponge plugged up and the water over flowed slowly I lost maybe 3 gallons on the carpet.

It is hard to foresee any mishap for sure. You can only start again and not beat yourself up. Who knows for sure what happen? This is a constant learning hobby for certain. Every week there is another little something I catch on to that is for sure makes it fun.

I really feel bad for you I can't imagine that happening to my tank/s... :( I mentioned giving you fry in an earlier post. I spotted some I think they are more Black PS Acei. If they survive your definitely welcome to them when your ready with your other ones. I do not protect them by moving or keep them later I usually sell them off to control population.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Brent Shaver

Well I finally have the tank stabilized and some work left but I managed to save my pleco at 11" he would have been a big loss.  I also saved one cichlid that is pretty much like my pic for my profile, but still think he could be a hybrid.  I also managed to save 9 fry which are doing well snacking on my shrimp in the other tank ugh, have to get them back tonight or tomorrow.  Strange lossing the shrimp doesnt seem bad after what happened and it seems they breed like rabbits anyway.

I am not really sure how the fry managed to survive given the amount of loss and how bad the water was.

Just to answer a couple questions that were asked in the previous post.

I run
2 - Ehiem Pro 2 canister filters
2 - 200 watt heaters (both working fine)  Digital Thermator(sp?) was spot on for temp
I run the air 60 with a air stone

I know I didnt have a power failure on the weekend as I checked with the couple on call and there was no issues with power and everything was running when I walked in.

As far as feeding, Tues and Wed I did an extra feeding and fed twice on the Friday, but they ate it all and with the water change of 50% that shouldnt have been the cause as I have done this exact thing many times.

As for restocking I have decided to go with
Bumble Bees
Blue Acei's
Black Acei's
Yellow Labs

I know I will keep the numbers lower at least for the summer, maybe 3 of each and with my fry that should be enough for now.

Again I want to Thank Everyone for your responces, condolences and restock offer.

If anyone knows anyone that has any of the above for sale please let me know.  I am not looking for anything free, but will be looking for at least 1m/3f of each.  I know runner(Denis) has bumble bees and possibly the Blue Acei's and is holding my Black Acei's so shouldnt take long to get it back to being normal.

Just a side note, Dont forget to take pics of your tanks, I havent taken one sence long before I added alot of my fish and now I regret it greatly.  Memory isnt as good as a pic 

Brent Shaver

A friend had taken a few pictures that I managed to get my hands on so I thought I would show what the tank use to look like.  Only thing that is missing is the 4 bumble bees that I added.

Sorry about the size still havent mastered the small to large pic thing..lol

Now I just have to rebuild...

dan2x38

Nice looking tank Brent!

I did notice something though. Your substrate is very deep? That can be an issue. If the substrate becomes O2 depleted then anaerobic bacteria builds up low in the substrate. Large pockets of sulphuric gas can build up. Then if a pocket is released suddenly disaster strikes.

Cichlids are big diggers and root a lot especially if preparing to spawn - if their a substrate spawner. Were there any of them showing spawning behavarior before you left? This might have been the cause? How long was tank setup for? It is a highly toxic gas and small amounts are extermely dangerous.

I worked around this gas in the oil fields of Alberta. If humans are exposed to 10,000ppm only to air only 1% to air it can render you unconscious and then you are over taken by the gas and calapse and then die shortly after from further inhalation at ground level. It is heavier than air so it sinks near the ground. Not sure how it reacts under water but small amounts must be bad period?
Voltaire:

Brent Shaver

Agreed it is deep or should I say was.  Although all my cichlids were diggers so nothing stayed in the same place more then a day as they would dig to the bottom then move it around again.

I am dropping the sand about 60% more for cleaning ease, but what you said makes sence.

And considering I will only have one adult cichlid, 9 fry and my pleco for 110 gallons I am sure the water quality wont be near as much of a problem.

I am going on holidays a week Monday and have a house sitter this time.  Dont have as many to lose but wont take a chance now.

As soon as I am back will be getting my black acei's and blue acei's.  The bumble bees wont be aggressive as fry and then all I will have to get is the yellow labs and then that will be it this time, not going to over stock like before.

dan2x38

Breant LMK when start populating again. I will watch in Mtrl. for stock for you. It is a good price and stock always. Only catch I come back it is always (85%) after 9pm. I have no tanks for holding anymore either. Well I do bu tthey are for emgerencies like QT or hospital only.
Voltaire:

Brent Shaver

I have already made arrangements for the black and blue acei's.  The only thing I dont have yet is the yellow labs and I am in no hurry so will probably wait until a breeder has some.  Yellow labs are one of the easier to get a hold of so not worried.

If it takes a couple months I wont lose any sleep over it as I am not in a hurry at this point.  Wont even be adding my acei's until the first of Aug.

Thanks anyway

motoro

Hello Brent,

I just saw your post today.  I know how you feel.  I went through a similar experience that week.

You said you did a large water change the day before you left?  Did you treat your water?

Every summer is the same for me.   After a heat wave the City of Ottawa will often add more chemicals to the water to ensure it safe to drink.  That is usually not good for fish.

In my experience I've learned that doing smaller (but more often) water changes in the summer is better.  (Unfortunately I don't always practice what I have learned, and paid for it this past week.)

The white water was probably just a result of dead fish starting to decay.

Anyway, I hope you get to replace your fish soon.  You truly have a nice looking tank.

cdylnicki

I have 2 baby yellow labs (released 3 weeks ago) that I would like to offer you.

They are still tiny guys, but I don't mind giving them up. 

Brent Shaver

Thanks for the offer and the PM is sent..