New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tropica

Started by freshfishies, September 12, 2010, 07:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freshfishies

I am going to be ordering some plants from Tropica in the next month or so and thought I would throw it out there if anyone else would be interested?

Fishnut

sas

I'd love to be able to participate :).
Pickup might be a problem but I wouldn't mind trying?
Thanks Sue

fischkopp

I am sure I can find something. :)

A few questions though: Will we be able to shop from the whole Tropica selection? How many plants are required in total to make that order happening?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

freshfishies

Quote from: fischkopp on September 13, 2010, 08:16:30 AM
I am sure I can find something. :)

A few questions though: Will we be able to shop from the whole Tropica selection? How many plants are required in total to make that order happening?

I'm going to inquire about it tonight so as soon as I hear back I'll give more details:)

rkmike

androo303

Well my first planted tank, I might as well hop in on some extra discounts!

freshfishies

Hey everyone!
I haven't forgotten about you I swear! It's been difficult to find any stores willing to help us out with this one..but I am still on the hunt!
If anyone has any suggestions, or knows a store that would participate, please let me know and I can figure this out!
Thanks!  :)

zima

RebeccaB organised a Tropica order in the past, and I don't think she did it through stores, but rather through somewhere in Edmonton.

Count me in the order for a couple of species as well!

bergenm

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=35323.0

We used Aquatic Plants Unlimited, I believe the owners name is Rudy Kern.
Michael

freshfishies

Quote from: bergenm on September 29, 2010, 08:10:12 AM
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=35323.0

We used Aquatic Plants Unlimited, I believe the owners name is Rudy Kern.

Thanks for sending me the post! Very helpful!
So...I contacted them and it's the same deal :) Anyone interested please click on the link above for more info, and we'll get this order rolling as soon as we have approx. 80+ plants.  :D

Remember to hit save after you have entered your order ;)

Jazz

jetstream

Quote from: freshfishies on September 30, 2010, 03:12:54 PM

80+ plants.  :D

Besides the 80+ plants, if my memory is correct, in order to cherry pick, each plant/type need to be a multiple of 5.

For reference, Tropica added 8 new plants to their list this year:

Hygrophila pinnatifida   rated easy
Pogostemon erectus    need high light
Polygonum Sp.            I guess all Polygonum belongs to high light group
Myriophyllum mattogrossense      another high light plant for sure
Aponogeton crispus 'Red'            a medium or high light plant if you want to see some red colour
Echinodorus 'Vesuvius'
Lindernia rotundifolia
Vesicularia ferrieri 'Weeping'

I only have 1 out of 8 in my tank. Most likely I'll join in!  :(

Cheers  ;)

fischkopp

Quote from: jetstream on October 01, 2010, 12:15:34 AM
Most likely I'll join in!  :(

:( --->>> shouldn't that look like >>  :D

:)

The new Hygro looks interesting, and the Echinidorus too.  ::)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

rkmike

Remember to hit save after you have entered your order ;)

So are we using the same spreadsheet to place the order as last time?

Mike

zima

What Mike said.. We might need a new spreadsheet?

asmackay

I would be interested in joining in as well.  How do I jump in on this.  Still lot's of room in high tech planted tank I want to fill up.
220G African planted
75G High Tech planted inprogress
550G Pond with Waterfall
3000G Pond in progress
Hobbies, video's http://www.youtube.com/user/newday3000

Dorrie

I'm interested in this too. Are all plants the same price, or do they vary?

freshfishies

Hey all...sorry I couldn't get on the computer  >:(

I will give them a call on Monday to get more details on prices; and the link for the spreadsheet should look a little different now..doesn't it?
I tried to alter it to be empty except for the example.

Check back by Tuesday night and I should have some better answers for you!

Jazz

freshfishies

zima

Are we still talking an average of $8.00 per plant + shipping costs, and a minimum of 5 plants per specie (if we want to cherry pick)?

freshfishies

I sent an email (as I can never get them on the phone) so I just need to hear back for definite answers :)
I was looking through the assortment tonight and I have no idea how I'm going to choose!  :D

freshfishies

Sounds like December is a better time to order from them, and it may? be cheaper then too.
I am waiting to hear back on the prices of each plant & clarification on how many need to be ordered.
The shipping is up to us, who we want to use. Anyone know what company is cheapest to ship with?
So the shipment will probably be about a week from the time they receive the order from us.

zima

I am not sure about the company we used in past - RebeccaB might remember? We should not be cheap about the shipping - it needs to happen overnight at the most since it's December (minus however much) and live plants we're talking about!

freshfishies

Hey everyone.
Finally have all the details!
-80 assorted; usually 5-10 of any given species BUT if we can get at least 5 of one plant than he said he can do it, unless the plant isn't available at the time, than he will let us know so we can fill it in with something else. (make sense?)
-each plant is around $6 (but ranges from 4.50-9.50) It just depends on how 'exotic' the plant is. Like Java Moss for example would be 4.50 because it's so easy.

So what it breaks down to (approximately)
Plant total = $480
Shipping = $50
Divided by however many people are involved.
I haven't checked on the actual price of shipping, but I assumed it would be around 50$ now, and probably double for overnight shipping in winter. I can look further into it it looks like we will have a large enough order. :)

If we can get this put together before the snow flies and it gets too cold, than it will be cheaper ;)

freshfishies

Thanks Dorrie!
Just put up my picks for now....miiiiight be adding to it as the time gets closer  :D

TLe041

I'd like to join in with this and order a sizeable amount of plants, but I'm hoping to get it sooner rather than later. Is there a definite deadline for this group order or just a goal of "before the snow flies and it gets too cold"?
Tony

jetstream

I guess we can go ahead as soon as we reach the min order that set by the dealer. Min. or multiple of 5 of each type of plant and 80 pots all together.  ;)

Dorrie

we'll get this order rolling as soon as we have approx. 80+ plants.  :D
Jazz

I guess if you join in with a sizeable amount, we'll reach our goal faster :)

But there is no fixed deadline as far as I know. You may want to PM Jasmine aka freshfishies for more details, as she is organizing the order.

Toss

75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

sas

I'm sooooo pleased I've got a very good friend to play
plant sitter til I or hubby can get to Ottawa. :)

Now to go shopping,

Finally added a few, will add more when I can make a decision ::).

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pKMk3DjJLYQL-WN4JaKZbHg#gid=0

Dorrie

Hi!
Made little boxes to *hopefully* encompass quantities better.
Also substituted Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis 53B' for Cardamine lyrata, because I found some really nice Cardamine at La Niche :) They've also got some very bushy Egeria densa.

magnosis

Count me in.  Will go over my wish list tonight and update the spreadsheet.

What's the approximated ETA ?

sas

Wow the order is at 45 plants already :).

bojon

I'm wondering if this order has been placed yet, or is too late? I read through all the replies, and seems like the order may be placed sometimes in Dec, is that true? I just want to make sure the date because I won't be in town during the Christmas session, and if that is the ETA, I may just pass. Thanks!

freshfishies

Hey all!
Yep the order is still open, and we would ideally like it to be ready NOW!, but we have to make the minimum first ;)

bojon

Hi freshfishies, I don't know if I read it correctly about the order requirement.

Is it that the min number of plants in total has to be 80, AND, each type of plants must have at least 5, or multiple of 5? If this is case, it will be very difficult to make it, as people are looking for different types of plants... :-\

thx again

freshfishies

Quote from: bojon on October 26, 2010, 12:55:03 PM
Hi freshfishies, I don't know if I read it correctly about the order requirement.

Is it that the min number of plants in total has to be 80, AND, each type of plants must have at least 5, or multiple of 5? If this is case, it will be very difficult to make it, as people are looking for different types of plants... :-\

thx again

yeah that's the deal. The gentleman I spoke with actually had raised the prices/quantities needed to complete the order, so I had to negotiate with him to get the same pricing, etc. as the last time the club did an order. I agree that it will be difficult, but we are halfway there already.

The only other option is to get approximately 10 or more people who are willing to throw money down on the order and get the company to just send 80 random plants.

bojon

hey freshfishies, thanks for your quick reply.

But I think we are not even half way, only 1/4 of the way. Because there are actually 2 conditions. 1) is a min of 80 plants. 2) is that each type of plant must be multiple of 5. Based on what we have now, there is only 4 types of plants can satisfy the 2nd requirement. So, this mean we only have 20 valid plants order so far... many other type of plant has only 1 or 2 order which cannot fulfill the requirement..that is why I said it is hard to achieve if we need to achieve both 1 and 2, unless I misunderstood it  :-\

btw, thanks for organizing this...

freshfishies

DEADLINE is November 20, and then I can take what we have to the gentleman and see if anything can be done. I'm not counting on it though, so everyone who is interested please submit your orders!!!

asmackay

I added my order, let me know how and when to pay.
220G African planted
550G Pond with Waterfall
3000G Pond in progress

sas

I'm really hoping this group order goes through :-\,
there are so many neat plants in the catalog.

Just 20 days to go anybody else?

Dorrie

What the heck happened to the order sheet?  :o >:(

Fishnut

>:( >:( >:(

Seriously not funny if that's someone's idea of a Halloween prank.  I forgot what I ordered!!

sas

Yep I noticed yesterday morning and sent a pm to freshfishies.
Hopefully someone saved it at some point? or can track where
and by who it went south?
I've forgotten what I ordered also. >:(

asmackay

I took a look at the google version history (File Menu View Version History) and it appears many copies were created on Oct 30th.  The first version has everyones updates. This version of the file can be restored. someone overwrote all the fields and made about 10 versions of the file in the process.

I'm not sure who owns this file but it's easy to restore the file back to the last updates.
220G African planted
550G Pond with Waterfall
3000G Pond in progress

sas

I'm thinking freshfishies owns the file? at least I'm hoping
she can restore it.
Looks like it should have a password or something added so
this won't happen again.
Keeping my fingers crossed :(.

asmackay

I just fixed it and restored the last good copy.  Anyone can restore a public document.  I see my order entries.  I think I was the last to update the file.
220G African planted
550G Pond with Waterfall
3000G Pond in progress

sas

Awesome phew thanks asmackay, :)

Dorrie

Fantastic, thank you so much asmackay! :D

TLe041

Added my order for 5 plants.

Hopefully this will go through as planned!
Tony

apuppet

okay, im in for one.   made my addition.

apuppet   1   067C   E   Echinodorus vesuvius
planted

rkmike

Updated my order... we're getting closer!    :)

Brent Shaver

I added my choices, although it would be nice to know a price.  Is there a price list someplace I have missed?

rkmike

I think we were looking at avg of $6 + S/H costs... But all that still had to be ironed out between the supplier and freshfishies once we got a final number on plants ordered.

Mike

freshfishies

Well..it's not looking good I would say, unless we are all willing to wait a bit longer until it fills up and pay the extra to have it priority shipped.
I would really like to see this happen soon, so maybe we can fine tune our orders?
I will ask at the next meeting if anyone is interested and see if that helps as well. 

rkmike

If I fine tune anymore, my wife will kill me!  ;D

I wonder if one of the board sponsors would be interested in carrying some Tropica plants in their freshwater sections, and would like to get in on the order as an experiment (or even take it over and place the final order for us?). I wouldn't mind putting the extra cash in the pocket of a LFS if they're willing to do the rest of the legwork to make this happen before Christmas rolls around...

TLe041

The problem is that most of the sponsors are saltwater only. The only plausible retailer that could do it is La Niche.
Tony

freshfishies

Quote from: TLe041 on November 16, 2010, 03:58:15 PM
The problem is that most of the sponsors are saltwater only. The only plausible retailer that could do it is La Niche.

Not entirely true...but on this topic...I have contacted a couple retailers already before even posting a group order subject, and no one seemed interested because of the high cost..not worth while for them I guess. It's all up to us!

sas

Quote from: jetstream on October 01, 2010, 12:15:34 AM
Besides the 80+ plants, if my memory is correct, in order to cherry pick, each plant/type need to be a multiple of 5.

For reference, Tropica added 8 new plants to their list this year:

Hygrophila pinnatifida   rated easy
Pogostemon erectus    need high light
Polygonum Sp.            I guess all Polygonum belongs to high light group
Myriophyllum mattogrossense      another high light plant for sure
Aponogeton crispus 'Red'            a medium or high light plant if you want to see some red colour
Echinodorus 'Vesuvius'
Lindernia rotundifolia
Vesicularia ferrieri 'Weeping'

I only have 1 out of 8 in my tank. Most likely I'll join in!  :(

Cheers  ;)

Only 23 plants to go :).......................

Here's the catalog in case someone doesn't have it yet,

http://www.tropica.com/home.aspx

I'd love to order more plants as well but hubby would disown
me for sure :-\, I'd also need to setup another tank,  ::).

TLe041

Deadline is here.

What's the final verdict on this group order?
Tony

sas

Quote from: TLe041 on November 20, 2010, 10:26:36 PM
Deadline is here.

What's the final verdict on this group order?

Just a concern, :) but your name doesn't appear to be on the current
spreadsheet? Did it by chance get removed when the spreadsheet was
tampered with?

asmackay

I justed added some more plants total is at 60 now.  Do we need 80?
220G African planted
550G Pond with Waterfall
3000G Pond in progress

freshfishies

The list has been sent to the dealer. Cross your fingers! I'll let you know when I get the reply. :)

sas

Yeah.......
Keeping my fingers crossed here. :)
But it has gotten awfully cold all of a sudden :-\.

freshfishies

Just waiting on a reply folks :)
He messaged me yesterday and said he needed to double check what they have and get back to me.

freshfishies

Sounds like our order can be fulfilled and will ship out next week  :D ;D 8)
I'm just waiting for confirmation & payment information, and then I will let everyone know!! :)

Dorrie

Woo! Seems the Holidays are early this year ;)

freshfishies

I believe I will have a $ total by the end of the weekend, and then we need to arrange when everyone can come over or I can possibly deliver. A cheque needs to be made out to the company, which I can take care of, but first I need everyone's $  :P
More to come..stay tuned!

sas

Sounds great, can't wait.
Do you know yet if they were able to fill the entire order?

freshfishies

:D PLANTS ARE ON THE WAY!!!!  ;D  I can't figure out everyone's total until they arrive and I can see the invoice though.
"Dorrie" has already paid me, now I need to get everyone else to pay up when you come get the plants..maybe I can deliver..we'll see how far bribery gets you ;)
I joke..but seriously  8)   lol
Anyway..everyone please get in touch with me asap so I can let you know what from your order is coming and what the extras are to choose from :)

freshfishies

Hey everyone! All the plants look fantastic:)
Call me as soon as soon as you can to pick up your orders :)
I'm a bit strapped for time this evening and pm everyone their totals, etc. would take while ;)
I am off until Wednesday, so I am pretty well available anytime right now.
I would suggest getting them by monday though so they don't dry up. I dipped them quickly in my tank just to moisten them a bit, but they should go in tanks asap. I would put them in mine but I'm afraid it would be too hard on them to move around so much.
Jasmine 613-262-8997. I live at 250 Brittany Drive in the east end (close to Montreal rd at St. Laurent Blvd)

rkmike

The plants are in the tank, some melting on the vals but the Windelov is amazing and hearty. My parrot hasn't eaten or uprooted anything yet, but the day is young...

Big thanks to Jasmine for putting this order together!

Michael

freshfishies

Quote from: rkmike on December 13, 2010, 10:56:16 AM
The plants are in the tank, some melting on the vals but the Windelov is amazing and hearty. My parrot hasn't eaten or uprooted anything yet, but the day is young...

Big thanks to Jasmine for putting this order together!

Michael

Yeah I noticed some of the val and some of the Windelov had a bit of melt happening, but I am happy that it all settled in well!
:)
Jazz