New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

plate coral??

Started by 10gnano, September 23, 2010, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gnano

anybody got one??
how long does it takefor growth?

holachicka

I dont have one but if I am not mistaken, they will not grow overnight...not even close...they take a looong itme....

I may be wrong, lol

kole18

It will grow past depending on your water parameter such as calcium, stronium etc all what's need of this sp. Coral, also under 10k bulb corals like this light 10k  is known for growth of corals. Trust me within a few months this will form layer by layer of cup.

redbelly

It really depends on the size.
When they come in tiny (aka pea sized) they grow into looney sized in a matter of months.

But when they reach a couple inches (typically the size you purchase them at) they grow crazy slow as pointed out by Holachika.

I think they mean a fungai plate coral peter. But yeah if you mean a monti they can grow crazy fast witht he right parameters.

10gnano

I am not sure which  plate coral it is. its orange, and kinda kindey bean shaped. I bought it at salty sundays this summer

alongfortheride

Does it look like this;
http://reefwholesale.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=311
If it does than it is a fungai plate coral.

10gnano

it certainly does not look like this

redbelly

What does it look like then?
As that is a plate coral.

Do a quick google search of a plate coral for a side view of one that is inflated.

ordi260

Maybe you are referring to a "cap" type coral???

Like a montipora capricornis???

That would be a cap tho...not a plate

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Bob P

Yes, we need a picture for sure.
Monti cap will grow nicely with right conditions.
Here's mine, was about the size of half a playing card
a year ago. Now about 7" wide.

bitterman

This is the plate coral in my sons tank

Bob P

Yes, I have 2 of those. It's the "kidney" shape that's got us
puzzled I think.

10gnano

JetJumper

Quote from: 10gnano on November 12, 2010, 10:27:12 PM
here it is

Your picture is WAY too small to ID anything.. sorry.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

10gnano

here I hope this is better

NjOyRiD

looksl ieksometihng like chalice
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

redbelly

Hard to tell from the pic but I think its a red echino.

Are you testing and maintaining your Ca, Alk, MG?
Most chalice can grow at a very reasonable rate.
They are not crazy fast like a monti cap that will go from 3" to dinner plate size in 6 months but still.
Feeding them will help increase how fast they grow but they are slow eaters so make sure the fish and starfish are well fed.

I have several failed video's where Hookup and I were trying to get a nice video of his bubble gum echino and red echino eating the Fauna Marin LPS food but one video has fish taking the food so we fed the fish and in the next video a serpent star came along and stole the food.

salvini55

Quote from: redbelly on November 13, 2010, 04:36:28 PM
I have several failed video's where Hookup and I were trying to get a nice video of his bubble gum echino and red echino eating the Fauna Marin LPS food but one video has fish taking the food so we fed the fish and in the next video a serpent star came along and stole the food.

lol that must have been frustrating!

Try putting a pop bottle over it when you feed it. Maybe some kind of screen box, to let the flow through. You just need to get creative. I use to guard the coral from shrimp with my tongs but it was hard work... sneeky buggers.

redbelly

In this case that just was not possible. The bubble gum echino is about 7" across. The red echino is smaller but both are mounted to a vertical face. Plus the pop bottle would not have looked very good in the video.
I will just have to try again but do it in our frag tanks this time.

Echino take a while to train to eat quickly so if you do try and feed your 10gnano, dont be surprised if the food gets stolen a few times but keep trying or start feeding it at night untill it gets used to the food.

Severum

Echinos take for freakin' ever to eat that stuff. Frogspawn, torch, hammer and duncans hoover it down.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef