New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Acei BAP Question

Started by Brent Shaver, October 04, 2010, 03:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Shaver

I know the Pseudotropheus acei shows 10 points in class B

I am curious if there is a difference between the Pseudotropheus blue acei and the Pseudotropheus acei tanzania black.

Can I aquire points for both, and does the Tanzania fall under a different class?

freshfishies

I did a little research and found that they are in different areas of the lake...
So I would say if 2 p. blue acei have a successful spawn & if 2 p. tanzania black acei do the same; as in keeping to the color variation; than 2 separate points can be awarded :)

Brent Shaver

Thanks Jessie,

I am seperating them this week so each type is by themselves.

No more hybrids for me....

robt18

It's Jasmine :P

And I'm pretty sure it says in the rules that colour variants aren't acceptable as different species, since they are both pseudotropheus acei. It's like breeding different types of discus... they're all symphysodon aquafasciatus, so they don't count as different species regardless of what they look like.

freshfishies

Quote from: robt18 on October 04, 2010, 06:17:52 PM
It's Jasmine :P

And I'm pretty sure it says in the rules that colour variants aren't acceptable as different species, since they are both pseudotropheus acei. It's like breeding different types of discus... they're all symphysodon aquafasciatus, so they don't count as different species regardless of what they look like.

HAHAHAHA! Way to screw up my name Brent ;) lol. They aren't eh ???  I thought cause they lived in different areas that it would be okay. darn :-[  The wording on one part of the rules confused me on that one...but I guess it's right since one person can only have one point award per species. Thanks Robt!

Brent Shaver

sorry... brain dead...long day didnt even read it.

But I am surprised that they would be the same as they are not even named an Acei per-say.  But thanks to both for clearing it up for me.

markw

The way that it was written was to award only points for one species, and not different variants. Only under certain rare incidents can seperate variants be awarded points and that is under the discretion of the committee. Reasoning behind that is so that hybridization is not encouraged or even chanced. Those guidelines are consistent with CAOAC and other clubs BAP regulations.

robt18

One is Pseudotropheus acei 'Luwala reef' and the other is Pseudotropheus acei 'tanzania'. Same fish, different collection point.

Brent Shaver

Again thanks for the replies.

I am going to breed both but will only put the black towards the BAP.

mseguin

With African cichlids its always difficult because the species names (and even genus') are always in flux. If I were you, I would get both registered and recorded, but only get points for one of them. That way if later it is described as a separate species, you have the breeding record.

Brent Shaver

freshfishies

That is a great solution Matt!

Larry Johnson

Just dropped by to see hwat's up in my favorite corne of the forum.
QuoteWith African cichlids its always difficult because the species names (and even genus') are always in flux. If I were you, I would get both registered and recorded, but only get points for one of them. That way if later it is described as a separate species, you have the breeding record.
IMO I think this is a great idea.
In October 2010 issue of Cichlid News Ad is covering this very subject, Acei vs Elegans,,,remember that the name we use NOW is Pseudotopheus sp. acei,,,this species has not been scientifically named as yet,,,but it looks like it may soon!
In his article he states that the Ngara group (white caudel fin dark blue body fish) may well be a different species than what is found at Luwala Reef,,,and IMO the Tanzanian variety is more colsely related to the Ngara type.
So I would think that this species may be resolved this year,,,,maybe ;D

Cheers,Larry