New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

1/2" foam

Started by magnosis, October 19, 2010, 03:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnosis

As I'm rebuilding the stand for my 59g, I want to put a foam board between the stand and the tank.

What type of foam are you using ?  Where did you get it ?

I found 1" foam at Rona, 14-some $ a sheet.  I find it's a bit too thick to my taste (because I want to hide it with an aluminum angle rail that goes around the stand top, but now the foam makes the whole thing too tick to be hidden)

Brent Shaver

The easiest way to do this if the tank is empty is to take a low E or A string from an acoustic guitar, a cheap set is about $5.  Put on gloves and wrap each end around your hands then with the foam in place, put the string on the bottom frame of the tank and just go back and fourth and it will saw through the foam nicely and if you make it taunt you will get an exact clean cut that will give you the effect you are after.

Hope this helps.

JetJumper

I am actually using floor mats.

I have not had an issue yet.  I got a lot of them from Costco for under $20. 

Don't know if this is the most ideal method, but just sharing what I used.  (I would probably double it up if I did it again.  They do compress more then foam)
But the price was right.

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Saltcreep

Quote from: JetJumper on October 19, 2010, 04:15:05 PM
I am actually using floor mats.

I have not had an issue yet.  I got a lot of them from Costco for under $20. 

Don't know if this is the most ideal method, but just sharing what I used.  (I would probably double it up if I did it again.  They do compress more then foam)
But the price was right.

I've been using this stuff under all of my tanks since I first found it quite a few years ago. Works great and I wouldn't use anything else. And, cheap, as already noted.

magnosis

Excellent idea ! I even have some of these mats at home, not sure why it never crossed my mind.

@JetJumper: why do you say you'd double them ?  I guess even if they'd compress to 1/8", they still achieve the intended weight distribution / prevention of pressure points, right ??

JetJumper

Quote from: magnosis on October 20, 2010, 01:12:00 PM
Excellent idea ! I even have some of these mats at home, not sure why it never crossed my mind.

@JetJumper: why do you say you'd double them ?  I guess even if they'd compress to 1/8", they still achieve the intended weight distribution / prevention of pressure points, right ??

My reasoning for that is the tank I am using this on mainly is a 34" tall tank that is 22" x 26"  so its a lot of weight on a small area.  I have noticed its almost compressed it so that there is little left.  Since this tank cracked on me once (with out foam) I just want to double it up specifically for this tank.   Which is being shut down and moved and set back up in the next few days so I will be able to do that :)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.