New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Newbie Alert!!!

Started by BermudaBorn, February 05, 2004, 01:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BermudaBorn

Hey there all of you aquarium Hobbyist-types.  This is my first post on the board.  I have been an aquarium Hobbyist for about 30 years.  
I was born in Bemuda back in 1970, which gave me unadulterated access to the ocean and all of the tidal pools and lagoons any young explorer would drool over.  I had a good time living there for the first 9 years of my life.
This might make you think that I am a Marine Aquarium Junky.  I actually prefer fresh water, I am not too sure why.  I just think it had to do with the easy access of the freshwater accessability throughout my life.  I lived in Belleville, they never really had any good Marine sections in any of the stores in the surrounding area.
I currently have a 55 gallon and two 20 gallon tanks.  I would have more if I had more space.  Believe me I am, and always have been addicted to the undersea environment.  I wouldn't call myself an expert.  I just know how to keep the fish alive and well.
My current fish stocks include:  In the 55 gallon tank: (2) clown loaches, (3) Black Khuli Loaches a Farlowella, a Rhino Pleco, a Clown Pleco, a small school of Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows (7), (2) White Cloud Mountain Minnows, (3) Bronze/Green Corydoras, a Juuli Cory, (3) spotted corydoras, and a whole whackload of Guppies that are a mix of two different species of Fancies(Tuxedo) and (black), I then Mixed them with a regular guppy female, and then with some male Endler's.  The result is yet to be determined, kind of a run-on experiment that has been going for the better part of the last year and a half.  Lots of fun.  In my first 20 gallon: an Endler's Male and a Good black crossed male Fancy Guppy, lots of females for them to breed with, (5) Black Khuli Loaches a clown Pleco and a buch of rams horn snails and pond snails, whenever they get too over populated they become Clown Loach food.  In the second 20 gallon: 1 albino crossed Guppy with 5 half albino females(another sub-experiment), clown Pleco and a little shoal of corydoras Pygmaeus (6 or 7), they have actaully bred a couple of times, I just haven't allowed them their needed alone time to get them going again.

Well, that's where I am right now.  I have had all kinds of aquarium fish over the years, but love the Livebearing Tooth carps the most.  What Can I tell ya, the variety says it all, and they are a good community species.  
My favourite fish is the South American Leaf, I may get another tank going with them, I can feed the excess babies to them(which I have a lot of).

Anyway, that's all for now, I will see you on Feb 29th at the auction.  Unfortunately, the fact that the OVAS has meetings on the fourth monday of every month will keep me away from most of those meetings as I host a Stand-Up Comedy Show at the Urban Well on the Same night every month.

Cheers!!!

Jeffrey....

BermudaBorn

Hello again.  I am looking to get a hold of a couple of Distichodus Sexfasciatus.  If anyone can help out there, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!!!

Jeffrey...

Ron

Hi Jeffrey,

Welcome aboard. This may not be a lot of help, but I was at the Aquarium Services store in Whitby a couple of weeks ago, and they had some small Distochodus, about 3" long. Nice looking fish, but  they'd wreak havoc in my planted tanks.

Whitby is probably further than you want to drive, but I thought I'd mention it on the off chance that you might be up that direction for any reason.

See you at the auction,

Ron

james

Hi
Welcome to the club
James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

BermudaBorn

Hey there Ron.  Thanks for the information.  Maybe I could call the Aquarium Services in Whitby and have them ship to one of the outlets here.  I wanted to put them in my 55 gal tank, which has no live plants, due to the larger Ramshorn Snails eating everything I put in there, especially the new shoots.  Thanks for the welcome Dudes!!!!

Thanks again!!!

Jeffrey...

Eirikre

Hey man welcome aboard :!:

Eirikre 8)

BermudaBorn

Thanks for the Welcome Eirikre.  I found some Distichodus Sexfasciatus.  They came in yesterday at the Aquarium Services Warehouse in Kanata.  I bought all four of them.  Nice fish!!!  I have a couple of clown loaches that immediately started to shoal with them.  I also picked up some scissortail Fancy Guppies.  They look as though they may have Endlers Livebearer Genes in them.  Similar pattern to the colours(however, the colours are completely different).  Well, that's it in a nutshell!!!

Cheers!!!

Jeffrey...