New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

anemone trouble

Started by A6tiger, October 30, 2010, 09:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A6tiger

hey all i recently bought a sebea anemone and the second day i had her she got stuck in my koralia...she litteraly got suck by it  i got her out and she seem to be doing fine now but the major problem is that i cant even put the smallest amount of flow in tank or she starts flying around it seem like she doesn't hang to anything.Maybe someone can give me advice to make her stay in place thanks

lost_at_sea

Go to the grocery store and buy one of those plastic containers that usually have fruit berries in them.  I've seen them come with lids and i've used that before to catch and keep xenia and anemone's in there for periods of time.

A6tiger

no it's back in the tank all fine but the problem is that as soon as i start the powerhead it starts to float around i dont know why it doesnt hang it self to something

redbelly

Sebae anemone are a difficult anemone to keep period.

Do you have clowns?
They do often help sebae settle in.

High light is also generally required for these guys.

A6tiger

i dont have clown right now but i will get one soon it seems to do fine it open up nicely it still bright white with blue dot on the tip it's just that i can't even start my powerhead or it starts to float away.and for the lightning i have 4 t5 ho 2 white 2 blue so it should be enough

bhotep

A white anemone is never good. As Patrick says,  strong lighting is important, sounds like yours should be ok. Your sebae should be a darker tan colour if it is healthy. They are sand dwelling anemones. Maybe you can reduce your flow for a while until it settles down. I hope it makes it, they are amazing creatures but many are difficult to keep.

redbelly

How big is your tank anyways?
4 T5's might be decent light for a 25g tank but then the tank is too small for a sebae.
But if the tank is 18" deep (or deeper) then it probably wont be enough.

I agree with Bhotep both on his advise and concerns.

Sebae are an especially difficult anemone to keep and a white sebae is a bleached sebae.

A6tiger

well i bought her like that but if you say it is not normal i'm goign to keep an eye on her and my tank is a 30 gallon so im not very concern about the lightning it should be good enough but for now that's what i did i stopped all the powerheads ans i'll wait till it settle down i squeezed her between two rock on the bottom and hope she will setttle down thanks for the advice everyone!!!

A6tiger

well after like 3-4 days without any powerhead working the anemone is stil not hangin on anything...i dont know what to do now i'm thinking to trade it for some corals or an easier anemone to take care of if nayone could help me to make her stay in place it would be great or if someone need an nice sebae let me know thanks

bhotep

What is your water temp, PH, nitrates, alk, salinity etc. Just wondering if any of these are out of wack.

A6tiger

temp is 78 and for all the other nbumber i dont know them buyt i now that their fine i dont have a test kit so i brought a sample of water to la niche in gatineau and everything is fine i guess i'll keep trying to feed her and see if that brings her back!

Darth

how old is your tank? Is this a new setup? It is to my understanding that anenome's will not attach if they are not happy, they will just keep moving around the tank, eventually go behind some rock and die, any chance of bringing it back the store?

A6tiger

yeah this is a new setup welll a few months old the store would take it back at 1/3 the price i paid for so i'll give my best shot to save it!it seems to be stable for now it stay at the same spot i'll try to feed her small piece of raw shrimp tonight again and will see if she catches some color. the worst in that story is that it was bleached when i bought it i tought it was just white but i was wrong  ???

Darth

honestly it was a bit early for an anenome addition, they really need an well established tank, sucks sorry how deep is your tank? I assume your bulbs are new, you really want to make sure you're getting good penetration if the tank is high, anenome are also photosynthetic (sp?) so if it's white it means all the benficial algae in it is gone, and is going to need to be fed more often until it can build up that algae again inside it's body. You may be better off taking the hit and selling it, at least get some money back for it, instead of having it die and being out all the money!

A6tiger

yeah migh be the solution i'll try to go talk to them and see what he thinks about it thanks for the advice...and yeah i do realise it wasnt the best time for an anemone beginner mistake next time i'll try to get myself informed before to buy something

Hookup

Too bad the store didn't jump in... most places do that, heck i cannot buy fresh-water fish for my kids aquarium at Pet-Smart without the 3rd degree from the sales-kids...

Darth

Quote from: Hookup on November 06, 2010, 02:36:18 PM
Too bad the store didn't jump in... most places do that, heck i cannot buy fresh-water fish for my kids aquarium at Pet-Smart without the 3rd degree from the sales-kids...

this is soooo true!! LOL, but yes most stores do try to inquire, but sometimes all you can do is warn against it the rest is up to the consumer, sorry bout your nem dude

A6tiger

i mean it's my bad after all not their fault they are really nice and everything just my mistake but i will either work harder to save or trade it to ray for some frag  :)