New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

leather not opening

Started by jon1985, December 15, 2010, 08:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon1985

I picked up a leather a week or so ago and put it into my tank.  It was open nicely at the store.  However it is not opening at all in my tank, infact it looks like its shrinking.

Any ideas?

Darth

could be a number of things, lighting, flow, water parameters

jon1985

hmm its a little bit futher away from the light then it was at his place but i figure my bulbs are probably newer, as for water parameters my other corals are fine, hammer coral, sun coral, frog spawn, rbtas.

i thought it had very little flow.

Maybe Ill move it and see what happens.

Bob P

Absoulutely, move it, wait a day or so, see what it does.
If nothing, try again.
I've a devils hand like that.

Rybren

Leathers will often close up, sometimes for weeks at a time.  My finger leather was recently closed for two weeks, but then opened in full glory.

I'd be tempted to leave it be for a while.
120G Reef

jon1985

hmmm, Id hate to see him die.  I will leave it be for a few more day but then try moving it.

93GTCANADA

Most of the time they close up shed and open back up again. if you think something in your tank is dying pick it up and smell it. I can't explain the smell but you will know it's dying lol

jon1985

what does a leather look like when it sheds?

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

jon1985

well I got home from work last night and there was a brown slime that is starting to come off and reveal a nice green colour underneath.

Looks like it might be shedding.