New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

colt coral not opening

Started by Darth, January 05, 2011, 03:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

so I have this coral frag for a few weeks now it's been growing great recently during some maintinence it got dislodge from where it was (it is still attached to the rock it was on) So for whatever reason I cannot get it back to where it was so I decided to put it lower in the tank in the substrate so it can really grow ( it was growing fast) and now it has been a day and half and it has still not opened, everything else in the tank is doing great including the hitchiker mushroom attached to the side of the rock the frag came on, how long should I wait before I start to panic (yes I am panicking already LOL)

Bob P

Seen that before, move it around some.
Mine always like a decent flow.
Bottom half of tank.
But, yours may be different, just a suggestion.

Darth

I had some good flow on it, then I adjusted, just trying to find out what is going to make him happy and not droopy, because right now he is very droopy

Darth

okay day 3 I have moved the coral back to the orginal spot. still no change, still tightly closed, how long do you think it will take to open how can I tell if it's dying which would stink because 3 days ago he was all stretched out wth polyps everywhere anyone?

Darth

so after almost a full week of the coral not opening and looking sad, despite my wanting to take it out of the tank and not being sure if it's dead or not, the polyps are starting to open again yaaay. I am glad I didnt toss it. So now I know at a week of being closed does not mean all is lost

although a rock slide has caused my rose bubble tip to go on the move, and now he wedged himself between 2 rocks, I have to just hope that he comes to the front and doesnt' decide to crawl into a cave

Hookup

I have a stylo...

it likes to close it's polyups every once in a while... sometimes a few times a day for 20-30min, sometimes only once a month for a day or two...   my wife continually asks... "what's wrong, how much will it cost to fix it..."  and nothing is ever wrong, and it costs something to make it better.. haha...

I think the best thing is to let stuff sit, keep hands out of the tank, and do not be afraid to put your hands in your tank...

Darth

how much does it cost is always a big discussion in my house, and my corals close everyone once in a while, but never for a week, this was a first for me as I said it didnt' look dead nor did it look alive, but patience won out and today on day 6 it's starting to open slowly. Normally when something dies is when I go on a spending frenzy to replace it and more, my wife was secretly happy it didnt die LOL

nice looking coral btw

bandit

I find with leathers your best to be patient, I have lost one by not being patient. I kept on moving it every other day and it eventually died where the other frag of the same I left alone and after a week it was open.

Darth

yeah like I said it took 6 days for it to open again and has been going nuts since, I have since fragged a piece off and will be fragging it again in a few weeks

Bob P

I have a large toadstool, closed for 5 months,
switched to another tank, it's open again.