New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brain coral pictures

Started by cdylnicki, January 08, 2011, 09:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdylnicki

I thought I would share a few photos of my beautiful coral!

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

FocusFin

Your sun coral looks healthy, do you do any specific feeding for it?
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

cdylnicki

I just bought the sun coral Boxing Day at big als in Oakville (I worked there a few years back). 

I watched it like a baby to determine where in the tank it was happiest, as I found it to be very picky on flow.  I also had to watch lighting (not too much light), but also predators (I currently have an aptasia problem).  I have not yet seen them complely opened, but they are opening enough to take food.

For feeding:  Mix about 1/2 cup of tank water with a few cubes of the assorted frozen marine diet, a few cubes spirulina enriched brine shrimp, a squirt of Zoe vitamins, some zooplex & phytoplex.  I wait about 10 minsutes for it to melt a bit, then I take some of the "water" off the top & squirt it into the tank right near the coral.  I turn of the flows/filters that affect that area of the tank and leave them for about 30 minutes.  I may check up after 15-20 minutes to see if they are opening up, if not I will squirt another few bits of the waterly liquid near the polyps.  Then I will actually try to feed them with the concauction I made.  I usually will do this twice (about 15 minutes apart).  I keep most of the flows down at least for another few hours.

Its a long, slow process & I do this about 3 times a week.  I hope to get some better pictures up when they open!

az

thats too much feeding IMO, once a wk good feeding to survive, more if you want growth, but you will need lots of water change so go easy, looks very happy.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca