New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ID please?

Started by S-and-T, January 11, 2011, 01:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S-and-T

Can anyone tell me what exactly this coral is?  It only opens at night, does not have a skeleton, and occasionally 'sheds'.
I have removed it from the rock in this picture and it has reattached to several frag plugs.

Thanks!

Benja

I see zoanthids and polyps.
Am I missing anything?

When you say "shed" do you mean heads fall off and end up growing somewhere else in the tank?

S-and-T

No, not the heads.  The outside of the stalk.  Almost like a snake shedding its skin....but not the entire stalk at the same time.  I have only one stalk that appears to be a new one since I got this.  It showed up on the original rock after I removed the rest so it could very well be that I just missed one.

Vincenzo.

isarus sp ...... aka snake coral.
they are a filter feeder, and an interesting coral.

they vary from a muddy green to a brownish with white knobs all over it.. at night they will open up at the top with a small ring of feeder tenticles. they dont get bigger then 4 inches.... i had them for the longest time.

S-and-T

Thank you very much Vince (again!).   I checked the rock I had taken them from and found 5 new ones.  I take it they are fairly hardy?

Vincenzo.

yea they are. the like all kinds of flow. and dont need they best of light.