New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

candy cane coral

Started by 10gnano, January 15, 2011, 09:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gnano

Hey guys/gals
Just wondering what your experience is with candycare coral splitting from one head to two? I have a pair that seem to be doing well. They swell up to almost the size of a nickel during the day, and shrink back down to the size of a bit bigger than a pencil eraser during the off light hours with there sweeper tentacles out. there stock of bone is about half an inch then has about 1.5 inches if shared stock. Not sure if the bone matters

Darth

not sure what you are asking here, as far as mine splitting I have a few heads with 2-3 mouths, but none as of yet have complete split as far as the base is concerned there is no splitting in the skeleton just the heads grow new mouths not sure how long it takes to completely split.

vic622

Quote from: Darth on January 16, 2011, 06:53:53 AM
not sure what you are asking here, as far as mine splitting I have a few heads with 2-3 mouths, but none as of yet have complete split as far as the base is concerned there is no splitting in the skeleton just the heads grow new mouths not sure how long it takes to completely split.
+1
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

10gnano

I guess what I was asking is. 1 do there skeletons get longer? and how do they multiply?  I know they get bigger threw feeding

Hookup

Mine spawns new heads off the base.  Mouths do not seem to split,..

Darth

Quote from: Hookup on January 16, 2011, 09:52:29 AM
Mine spawns new heads off the base.  Mouths do not seem to split,..

see and I have 2 different types and neither has grown off the base, just seem to get more mouths to feed just another thing to say nothing in this hobby is "normal"

JD

I have the neon green ones. Started off with four heads now I have over 50. Took about a year.
The mounth/head split down the center. As they grow they create new skeleton.
They seem to grow outwards versus upwards. They do both just outwards seems more noticable.

10gnano

JD

what type of lighting do you have? is the coral low or high in your tank. what about current?

Bob P

Mines the same as JD
Some new heads, most just divde.
From 5 or so to easily 100 now.
Been fragged a few times

HappyGuppy

Quote from: Bob P on March 15, 2011, 08:29:39 PM
Mines the same as JD
Some new heads, most just divde.
From 5 or so to easily 100 now.
Been fragged a few times

Really curious... how long did that take?  Going from 5 to around 100.

JD

Quote from: 10gnano on March 15, 2011, 08:08:00 PM
JD

what type of lighting do you have? is the coral low or high in your tank. what about current?

The candy cane is about 6 inches off the substrate. Lighting in a 30 inch deep 220 is 3 x 250 watt Radium 20K metal halides.
I think the lighting is still too strong for their liking.
Flow is variable and low to medium where it is growing.
The picture I am attaching was taken with a flash with my crappy point & shoot from back in the day, sorry about the washed
out colours.

Severum

Same as JD here. heads split into 2 or 3. Skeleton gets longer.

I started with a head and a half a year ago. Gotta be around 20 heads now. growth is exponential.

I use T5 lighting and they are close to the bottom of a 24" deep tank.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Bob P

I've had that candy cane two years

10gnano

that is a gorgeus tank. i hope that mine start to split. i have been feeding and feeding. my duncans are doing great and my chalice is gowing well, my frogspawn has spawned new heads, pom pom xenia is growing, dont seem to have luck with torch corals and candycane, as far as growth is concerned.

dragkon1

in my experiance the candy canes seem to start spliting slowing. it takes a while for the first head to become 2, but once that first split starts they seem to speed up. I was just looking at mine which started as 2 distinct heads and is now close to 50 or so, and all of the heads are currently spliting, even the ones that havent finished splitting yet. They just seem to constantly split now.

10gnano

ive often wondered if my sea urchins slow down the growth of my corals. they climb all over everything