New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cleaner shrimp fighting peppermint shrimps?

Started by HomerJ, January 21, 2011, 04:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerJ

Hi all:

I bought 2 peppermint shrimps not too long ago.  QT'd them for a bit.  I noticed one was missing in the QT tank.  Figured it was in a rock somewhere, but haven't seen it since.  Do they "disintegrate" overnight?

I put the other one in my DT.  Saw it for a few days, but it is now nowhere to be found.  I have hermit crabs, snails, 2 clowns and a cleaner shrimp in the tank.  Are cleaner shrimps known to be aggressive towards other shrimp species?

I haven't found any carcass, or shrimp "bits" in the tank, so is the shrimp just hiding or it has been eaten by something else? 

I  "think" (crossing fingers) that I got rid of all the bad crabs that were in the rocks.  (Have 4 in the sump now!).

NanoSF

I find Peppermints to be hit or miss. One batch I bought two died within 10 minutes of entering the tank. The other two have lived on so far and even survived my stupid temp probe falling out of the tank and temperatures spiking for a day. I have always found them to be a pain. They will even kill each other if the sizes are too different. So yes, to answer part of your question I think any number of things could have attacked and killed your shrimp. However, usually we assume predator and it ends up being simply stress of some kind. BTW I almost never find shrimp bits if they die. I just know they are gone because they don't show up at feeding time.

NanoSF

Oh ya and they most definitely will not disintegrate that quickly. They only way they will totally disappear is being eaten by creatures after death IMO. Without a lot of creatures I would say well over a week before it would disintegrate.

Darth

they will hide for a while if they are molting, they are very vulnerable then, and my peppermint don't really come out that often and then 1 day poof his is there, otherwise it could be weeks before I see him

Nyx

We've had a large reef tank for about 9 years. We've had cleaner shrimp live for about 6 years, bloods for almost 7 years and a huge coral banded for almost the full 9 years we've had the tank. They've survived molts and complete tank tear downs/"redecoration". We've never had much luck with peppermint shrimp, though. Even when hubby put one in his office nano, that had no other shrimp in it. Of course, being nocturnal, they do hide a whole lot but I think they've usually become fish and/or shrimp food during a molt. Or they're a little too sensitive, especially in comparison to prettier ornamental shrimp. And they never seem to eat the aiptasias most of us put them in a tank for in the first place. So, we don't bother with them anymore. :)
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers