New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

frag tank

Started by 10gnano, March 08, 2011, 10:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gnano

I am thinking of making my nano cube a frag tank. I am gonna light it with a 70watt metal halide. what depth should i put my egg crate at? should i keep substrate in the tank or just put some live rock on the bottom of the tank?

NanoSF

I would say it doesn't matter what live filtration you put as long as it is enough overall to deal with any feedings you may be doing to the corals. Simpler to go with live rock only. If you are not feeding you don't need much at all. Just use what you have or can easily get I would say.

As for depth I would like to think a few levels would be nice. If you could glue together some egg crates that create a three or even two tiered structure that would be sweet. I mean different coral require different light intensities. If you don't want to do that then it all depends on what you want to put in there. With SPS basically you would need it as close to the top as possible with only 70 watts. Still might not be enough. With softies you would be fine 3/4 of the way down for most things.

10gnano

how high should mushrooms be? for growth purposes?

NanoSF

Your average mushroom does not need much light but can tolerate pretty much anything. Colours might change according to hight. A Florida Ricordea needs more light than an average mushroom, and a Yuma needs less than a Florida. There are some other mushrooms too but most have fairly versatile needs. You just have to look whatever you plan to keep up on the net to get a more specific idea.

Severum

My first foray into fragging was with shrooms and GSP. I grew that stuff well under a 26W CF bulbs.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef