New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Minimalist 12 gallon (now with picture)

Started by NanoSF, March 11, 2011, 08:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSF

So I picked up this scratched up acrylic 12 gallon thinking I would use it as a frag tank since my small display tank is becoming crowded. It was one of the eclipse bow front acrylic things. I decided to try my hand at buffing out the scratches and in the end it turned out nice enough that I thought I might as well put my frags in a simple display tank. So this is my thoughts for an "as simple as possible" display tank. I have it on the counter in the kitchen so not much room for any clutter.

I removed all the black plastic (rim and lid).
I am running 30 watts of LEDs (20 Watts 10000k, 10 Watts blue)
I have one Koralia Nano place high in the tank (will explain this)
I have a small heater place high and horizontal
I have 5 pounds or live rock and 5 pounds of live sand
I painted the back black to hide cords behind

The Koralia Nano is placed high pointing down to create a small funnel effect that drags surface scum into itself. I will not have any overflow to remove this surface scum. Surprisingly this seems to be working. Top stays clear and there hasn't been any suction noises or air bubbles forced into the water yet. When the water level drops over 24 hours time a few bubbles start to get sucked in. So as long as I top up twice a day I am fine. The heater is horizontal because you can't even see it from normal viewing angles this way. The rock and sand is minimal I know, but this is part of the concept. I will not be feeding the tank at all. No fish just extra corals from my display that don't require feeding.

So any thoughts on what I might be missing or problems I might run into. I will attach pictures today once the lights come on.

So far the lighting in the only problem. LED heat sink is too small for the 30 watts so I need a fan. Problem is I can not stand fan noise. So any suggestions here for a super quiet very small 12v or 110v, very low flow fan that can be tucked away would be great. Heat sink can't be bigger the space is very tight. It is mounted on the underside of my kitchen cabinet.

JetJumper

http://www.silenx.com/index.asp

or http://www.scythe-usa.com/

Those fans are quiet from a PC Building perspective.  Also can be purchased at www.shoprbc.com which is local.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Malyon18

I myself would go with the scythe fans, the silenx fans are ok but they don't move that much air, they kinda remind me a lot of monster cables, a lot of marketing behind a product that is mediocre, but that is just my opinion :)
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

NanoSF

Well I don't need much air movement at all actually so that might be good for me. Thanks to you both for your input.

NanoSF

Not much in there yet, but I just started to move stuff and thought I better take a picture first.