New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

question canopy build

Started by A6tiger, March 29, 2011, 05:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A6tiger

ok so i will be building a canopy with 6 t-5 ho built in...got a few question before i start! what is the best heigt from the water to put the tubes so i will get the maximum light and still have access to the tank. and also i was looking at those end caps http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/lighting/t5-florescent-aquarium-lighting/t5-retro-fit-kits-and-parts and just wondering if it will fit eith the individual reflector like tek ones??well for now these are the two main concers i have but i'm sure i'll find some more question when i start to build it lol thanks in advance

Toss

It is more like personal preference. You get the most out of your light when they are closer to the water surface. You also have the best access to your tank when the light is out of your way. I have mine removeable or adjustable height.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

omarh

i got the dual endcaps from BRS back at the very end of august. i was going down for a vacation in Maine and i had them shipped to my motel so they were pretty cheap. got the individual tek reflectors, clips, and one of the ballasts of them as well. pretty decent price , didnt have to pay tax either was below the limit. but if you were to order for delivery in canada, it may be more economical to pick them up from a local supplier, i'm not too sure........anyway you can do the math and see which ends being more suitable for you.

eitherway, i suggest getting 6 of their dual endcaps (each dual endcap is good for 2 bulbs, so you 3 on each side of the canopy) as opposed to the singles ones, they come with teh endcap mounting bracket. their tek reflectors were decent as well, they sell icecap ones as well but i just went with the tek. height i have mine at about 5 inches off the water maybe? then i run them on  WH7 and WH5 ballasts (4 bulbs on one, two on the other)

omarh

actually, Jim at forty Fathoms is selling used tek reflectors, endcaps and ballasts.........check those out he's got everything needed for a 6 bulb setup. That's probably a good way to go.  check out his page on the forum.