New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

sea urchin emergency

Started by Darth, April 11, 2011, 01:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

so I was taking out my rocks and got stabbed by my long spine sea urchin. the tip is stuck in my finger and cant get it out is this poisonous I am going to have to go to the hospital to get it taken out but should I be worried besides the fact it hurts like heck

Malyon18

"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

Darth

thanks it sux because the spine is stuck in my finger and I cant get it out so I have to wait 4 hours in the emergency room now to get it removed

Malyon18

I have a scalpel kit at home if you want me to give it a try :), you may need emergency a lot more after though

Darth

Okay first off not sure why you have a scalpel kit and second thanks but no thanks

Malyon18

They are awesome for fragging corals

gvv

Funny but but long spine urchin usually moves to the same corner that I'm cleaning...
Not sure if this is a good suggestion, but.. in order to lower the pain you will need to pee on your finger :) This is in the case when you don't have vinegar around... Vinegar will dissolve most of sea urchin spine.
The broken spines are usually coming out after some time just by themselves, as if they are pushed out

NjOyRiD

you gotta go deep and take it all out
mine still didnt heal completly

i put a lot of peroxide, everyday!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Darth

Worst part is the skin closed around it I can't get at it. So I am sitting at the general waiting for a doc to take it oit

gvv

The problem is that spines are hollow and it is very difficult to get them out as they easily break.
Just be careful, use antiseptic, as another problem is infection.

NjOyRiD

hopwfully it wont take too long at the hospital
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Darth

Brent Shaver

I know the wait times are brutal but in this case I would think it is better safe then sorry.

Hope it works out and you get fixed up...

Darth

Hmm my post got cut short the hospital suggested I go to the clinic as the wait time would be less the the 6 hour wait at the hospital so far been here 2 hours and my wife won't let me leave I have my corals sitting f on a bin at home and live rOck on
U table now I am worried about having die off and starting a huge cycle once I get it back in te tank ughh!!!

JetJumper

Honestly, drive to Almonte.  Wait time is like 5 minutes..
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Darth

I am next in line now it's almost over

Thunda

Best of luck with it, and hope all is well once your home too!!!

Darth

so all is good, went to appletree had a doc who oddly enough had a saltwater tank told him about the urchin and he said vinegar would dissolve the spines most times depending how deep so I said eh you know about urchins, so they we had a discussion on tanks. re-scaped the tank so far only lost a blood shrimp  :'(

Severum

Glad to hear you're OK. The loss of the shrimp sucks though. :(
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Darth

yeah it does, it was my own fault though trying to aquascape the tank, and the rocks falling over in the sandbed, I am glad that is the only thing I lost, I may have lost a reef lobster too, but he hides all the time. It was amazing to see the cuc take care of the shimp though, within 20 min there was no trace of it.