New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Easiest Corals List

Started by HappyGuppy, April 17, 2011, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSF

Quote from: Hookup on April 22, 2011, 07:52:05 PM
what kind of corals are you referring to?

in general;
Softies are easier than LPS.
LPS are easier than SPS.

Some Softies are harder than others
Some LPS are harder than others and some are easier than some softies
Some LPS are harder than some SPS
Some SPS are easier than some LPS
Some SPS are darn near impossible ;)

;D +1...I think LOL

JetJumper

Quote from: Hookup on April 22, 2011, 07:52:05 PM
what kind of corals are you referring to?

in general;
Softies are easier than LPS.
LPS are easier than SPS.

Some Softies are harder than others
Some LPS are harder than others and some are easier than some softies
Some LPS are harder than some SPS
Some SPS are easier than some LPS
Some SPS are darn near impossible ;)

What about NPS? :o
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

dan2x38

I had a sun coral it was fine for a year than I traded it b/c I got bored of it. I feed it a least once a week by direct target feeding. I made a feeding chamber (for lack of better term) for it so it got all it's food so the hermits didn't get the food first. It was simple I used a clear plastic container from some sort of food. Used a drill bit to make a crap load of holes in it. Then used some old gravel with a length of pantyhose placed the gravel all around the bottom then rolled it up into a ring. Then used some fishing line to tie it closed and onto the outside lip on the bottom of the container. There was a larger hole in the end to squirt food into the chamber. Now I just placed the container over the coral and it stayed in place with all PHs running and the coral got all it's food. The polyps would all extend I did this well before lights out. I'd read you can train them to extend during photo periods more often and better if feed with lights on and it worked. They are more work but quite easy to maintain if you feed them like mentioned. They are also very attractive IMO. Never liked the black ones look though.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Hookup

Good point!  NPS...  They might even trump SPS for difficulty...  :)

redbelly

Definately NOT NPS!!
NPS require SPS quality water and constant feeding.
There are a few exceptions, which would be the carnivorous corals like sun corals, dendros etc. But in a system where nutrient are allowed to build up already I would not recomend these as they require additional feeding which overall will decrease the water quality further...

I have heard people at various LFS say that NPS do best in dirtier tanks but nothing can be further from the truth. NPS need pristine water quality in order to be able to smell their food and start feeding + they need a constant supply of food. Dosing pumps are really best for this although some pieces do ok with manual dosing (aka some sea fans)

Softies are the obvious answer but most LPS should do very well in your water too.

Euphyllia (aka frog spawn, hammer, torch) do quite well in lower light as do many trachaphyllia.

If you really would like a gorgonia there are several species of caribbean gorgs that do well and are photosynthetic. Typically these are like a pastel purple with brown polyps, although there as a couple "golden" varieties as well. Your water just has to be clean enough that algae will not grow on the gorg and they prefer decent flow. I find these pretty easy to keep, but other people may have diff opinions. Dont buy a damaged piece and make sure all the polyps are open before you buy it. If you touch the gorg and the flesh comes off dont buy it too.

dan2x38

NPS = non-phytosynthetic corals
Voltaire:

bongo

stay away from gsp it's evil!

as for an easy coral you can try pulsing xenia.. still my favorite coral to watch... pulse, pulse, pulse...

Thunda

I agree with the Pulsing Xenia! I love that one!

HappyGuppy

Thank you thank you thank you all for all your insightful replies.

I have done some more research, prompted into directions some of you shared, and have settled upon the types of corals I shall be working with.  I have also gathered a few of them already, and this past week, though I still want to find a few more (rics and gloves are high on my list at the moment).    Like I said above, my ambition is to focus upon a nice planted macroalgae tank with a few softies here and there.

So far what I've gathered and am currently growing (ignoring the corals not planned for the macro tank)
* 4 kinds of leathers (3 kinds of fingers and a kind that is broad)
* Purple Kenya Tree
* A few kinds of mushrooms
* A brown type of GSP (wish it was green)
* Maybe a xenia... if lives
* a tiny blue c/glove (tiny polyps - very cute)

I bought a few, traded a few, and I have to give GVV special honorable mention for "trading" extremely generously with me (considering what I gave him his stuff was really a gift).

Like I said, high on my list is to get a couple of brilliantly colored rics (2 kinds), whatever c/gloves I can possibly swing trades for, and contemplating a colt (had a trade lined up for a colt that never happened).

My main current project is to get more macroalgae types.  I have succeeded in getting several kinds, but mostly just tiny tiny tiny bits of that I'm currently strongly encouraging to grow out in a dedicated 10g macro grow out tank.  The few kinds that are already of some decent size look AMAZING; far more incredible than anything I've enjoyed before in freshwater planted before, which was my main hobby (growing planted tanks).

Hey, if any of you happen to have a little macro sprout out on your rocks please PM me about it.  Your tank probably is not conducive to growing macros (you probably keep low nutrients for your corals) so I'll happily grow it out for you and return it larger, and with friends (other macros) if you like.  I wish it was easier to order stuff from the USA - they have so many awesome macros available so cheap & easy (see ebay) it's a shame we can't get stuff like that in Canada.

HappyGuppy

Looking over that list I have to tip my hat to Dan.  He was right about not being able to resist corals in my macro tank.  I'm suprised how long that list of corals has quickly grown.

Also, completely forgot to mention that I plan to have some nice sponges in there too.  I've been growing my sponges with lots of feeding for them (bacteria) and I must say that IMHO they are extremely lovely too.

dan2x38

also check out Duncan corals they are easy to keep for the most part... I lost mine in tank transfer but it was my first coral and it grew quickly... they are very nice looking when fully extended.
Voltaire:

JetJumper

Sorry Mr Guppy, but if there are no pictures, it doesn't count! :P
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

redbelly

Quote from: dan2x38 on April 25, 2011, 08:38:35 PM
also check out Duncan corals they are easy to keep for the most part... I lost mine in tank transfer but it was my first coral and it grew quickly... they are very nice looking when fully extended.

Agreed, duncans are very easy to keep.

Good choice Dan.

HappyGuppy

Quote from: JetJumper on April 25, 2011, 10:46:58 PM
Sorry Mr Guppy, but if there are no pictures, it doesn't count! :P

It's on my list of "To Do"... on page 76.