New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

29g Tank?

Started by allyally19, April 19, 2011, 01:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allyally19

What are some interesting Cichlids to put in a 29g tank?  :)

taim_30

You have a few options available on the african cichlid side.  You could do a setup of brichardi which do nicely in colonies.  You could do a grouping of Afras and Yellow Labs. 

In a smaller tank, just make sure you pick dwarf mbunas on the Malawi side and smaller cichlids (some julidochromis) on the Tang side.  Most africans get pretty big so you need ot be very selective.

You go also go South American, but someone else will need to chime in here.
125 gallon: Labidochromis Caeruleus, Metriaclima Estherae (Blue x Red), Labeotropheus Trewavasae Chilumba,  Pseudotropheus Acei Itungi, Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga, Melanochromis Perileucos,  Pseudotropheus Perspicax

75 gallon: Pseudotropheus Kingsizei, Metriaclima Estherae, Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga,  Pseudotropheus Flavus, Melanochromis Vermivorus, Petrotilapia Chitimba, Pseudotropheus Polit

Currently breeding: Pseudotropheus Kingsizei,  Pseudotropheus Flavus, Metriaclima Estherae, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Labeotropheus Trewavase Chilumba, Melanochromis Perileucos

robt18

Personally I wouldn't do a Malawi tank unless you had a single species in it. Tanganyikans typically stay smaller and would be a better bet... Neolamp Brichardi, pulcher, walteri, moori, buescheri (and more), juli. transcriptus and marlieri (and most other julis) stay nice and small and have great personalities. A few species of shell dwellers would do well in there too.

If you're looking for a more community tank you could do a pair or two of apistos, rams, kribs, butterfly cichlids etc. with a couple schools of tetras or smaller rainbows to keep everyone on the less aggressive side.

Either way, there's lots of options and can look great!

Blackstitch

When I first got my africans, three years ago now, I got 5 rusties. I originally had them all in a 25 gallon for almost a year. Then when I got my big tank, I had to do a major tank shuffling, so they were in a slightly smaller 20 gallon for a couple of months. Finally I got my 65 up and running, and transfered them to it. All of my cichlids, seeing as to I now have more than just the rusties, well actually down to just one now, are happy as can be.