New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

snail ID?

Started by featherfin, April 22, 2011, 07:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

featherfin

i just noticed a bunch of tiny little snails in my tank (pond snails of some kind?)... not sure what kind they are and if i want them or not. i've already had an infestation of malaysian trumpet snails and it was a nightmare.

i assume they came in on some plants and i missed them. not sure how to go about removing them as they are pretty small.

picture:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thanks for any help :)

Patrick S

This looks like a small pond snail. These snails generally only feed on dead or decaying leaves or organic matter. If they become too big or too numerous, they might start feeding on healthy leaves as well.

I like them in my planted tank to help cleaning accumulation of organic matter. However, I remove them when they reach 1/4in or so. If you decide not to keep them, I know someone who would be happy to give them as snack to her puffers.

BTW, malaysian trumpet snails are excellent to have in a planted tank too as well as they constantly dig in the substrate and aerate it, which is good for the plant roots.

Patrick

featherfin

hmmm maybe i'll keep them around and remove them when they get big. i just don't want them eating all my plants :P

and the malaysians were not in this tank, they were in a tank with no plants. i'm not sure how they multiplied so fast because i wasn't overfeeding at all.

thanks for you help :)

HappyGuppy

Quote from: Patrick S on April 22, 2011, 07:13:32 PM
BTW, malaysian trumpet snails are excellent to have in a planted tank too as well as they constantly dig in the substrate and aerate it, which is good for the plant roots.

+ 1 million