New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Clown babies

Started by tophoo, May 24, 2011, 04:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tophoo

I have been running my tank now for about 3months and my clowns were added about 2 months ago.  They just had babies!!!  Notice little orange tadpole thing swimming around when the power went off today.  My question is; What should I do now?? 

Will they survive and grow in the tank??

Thanks

Darth

they will most likey not survive, uneless you can get them out into another tank and feed them phyto or something, nice they are a mated pair I have had my clowns for almost a year now, and they hate each other most days

Greatwhite

I've had my clowns for ... 5 years now..  They get along well enough - and do little dances around their "adopted corner".  I swear that last week the female was going to have babies - or maybe she did and they all got eaten up.

There's lots of info out there on how to breed your clowns, if you're interested in doing so.  Just gotta Google it. :)  Invest in a little 10G tank and an air-driven skimmer/filter for it as a start.

Nyx

Our clowns spawn every few weeks. The fry never survive - they just make live fishfood for the rest of the tank inhabitants.
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

HappyGuppy

Quote from: Darth on May 24, 2011, 05:17:17 PM
nice they are a mated pair I have had my clowns for almost a year now, and they hate each other most days

Sounds like the average married couple ;)

Greatwhite

I found a clownfish baby in my filter sock, dead of course. :(  I guess I was right about the fat belly.  The rest had probably been eaten, unless they only had 1 baby (which I don't think is very likely)..  Looking online, I found a picture that matched what I found...  ~150hrs old.  I don't know if he was alive in the sock for that time or what...  But I had taken my sock out of my sump and was soaking it in fresh water until I could get around to cleaning it.

Now that I know what to look for, I'm going to have my nursery tank set up and be a little quicker to save the little guys.  Tophoo & I should go into a clownfish mill business...

gvv

Depending on species, it may take a week between parents laying the eggs and fry hatching, but for the pair this time is always the same (exactly 1 week for my maroons as). The fry hatch when lights go down in about half of an hour. If you would not catch them at this time  - they gone.
But if you catch them, than you will have more problems :)
In my experience they only eat live rotifers. Don't take frozen or dry food, phyto too small. If they don't get the food right after they hatch, they gone...
And with food comes the problem how to clean the tank with fry without catching them :)

It is not uncommon to have clown fry (or shrimp babies - my scunk and bloody shrimps regularly "infest' the tank with babies), but to grow them is a really hard job :(

Regards

Cheebs

If you're able to get the female to lay her eggs on something you can move easily, it may make things easier. Catching them as they hatch is very difficult, so if you can move them to a seperate tank with the same water conditions, tempertature, flow, and all that fancy jazz that the clownfish raising tutorials will tell you about, then you're set .
Here's my female maroon with her fertilized eggs. They've been laying eggs for a few years now, about five thousand per batch. It took a long time for them to stop bashing away the piece of tile I put there for her to lay on, but now it's the only place she lays, and I've got a second tile ready and waiting for the day I want to swap it out and attempt to raise the babies! It's supposed to be pretty tough, but I'll try it one day!

gvv

Good for you!
My mother maroon don't allow any slate/rock to be placed without her approval and every time she throw any piece that she thinks is not appropriate to the bottom of the tank. I never thought before that she may be so strong, but...

Prepare a lot of rotifers BTW! :)

Cheebs

Quote from: gvv on August 12, 2011, 10:03:21 AM
Good for you!
My mother maroon don't allow any slate/rock to be placed without her approval and every time she throw any piece that she thinks is not appropriate to the bottom of the tank. I never thought before that she may be so strong, but...

Prepare a lot of rotifers BTW! :)

No kidding, she can throw around a 5 pounds rock if I put it near her tank... you don't want to piss this fish off! I had to replace the slate about 30 times over a couple weeks before she finally jsut accepted it :D