New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anthias - The story begins

Started by Hookup, July 24, 2011, 06:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

After Acclimation, and Dinner the story will begin.. until then... know that Az has some great looking Anthias.  Never heard of them before (he'll have to post the name again as I cannot remember what he told me).

6 new Anthias are being added to the system and the challenge of keeping these notoriously heavy-frequent feeders alive begins.

Hookup

Well, just short of 5 hours of acclimation and the fish are in...  They are already feeding, though to be honest with six I'm not 100% sure each and every one ate... :)

There was no obvious way to sex them at the store, so we selected six of the more peaceful ones.  They are still settling in and adjusting, and the PBT is attacking the mirror, thought I think his days are numbered... He's a jerk...

Loads and loads of movement now in the tank.  Very cool.

Stay tuned for more updates on their progress.

robt18

Only 5 hours of acclimation? Is that a new record low for you? :P

Love seeing big groups of anthias as big tanks... lots of action and looks like the real thing! Good luck! They'll enjoy your twice daily feedings too.

Hookup

I usually feed about 4 or 5 times a day... If you include the pellets in the auto feeder it's up to 7 or 8 times...  I use between 4-6 cubes and feed 4-5 times between 6 and 10pm. Basically by the time I get home and go to bed...  This is why I figured I could try them..  We'll see how it goes..

And yeah 5hrs is a new low...  Was very upset it went that fast to be honest...  Will be more careful going forward.  >:(

az

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

xiaan

What auto feeder are you using?

Hookup

The auto-feeder is a dosing pump from GHL and a pellet feeder... I only dose small-particle foods thru the GHL pump and pellet foods in the pellet feeder...

I'd like to have a more automated feeding setup... but haven't given it much thought... and honestly, most days I get a kick out of watching everyone eat... so i'd not want to automate that completely... 

an auto-cleaning system for the glass however... that would be nice... :)

-

Hookup

The Anthias are all accounted for and seem to be getting along well.  They appear to be eating, for sure some of them are.  I'll pay close attention the next few days to ensure all six of them are feeding, not just one or two...

I've also added a small feeding in the morning, technically in the middle of their night... On my way out the door I throw in a cube of something (mysis was today).  They ate this food... so with the rest of the feedings i'm pretty sure they will be ok...

the hard part will be when i'm away.... In Sept we are heading to France for a mini-vacation, so if there will be losses, i expect them to happen at that time...  Maybe before then I can get some kind of magyver system with a photocopier toner and the sole of a rubberboot to make a temporary auto-feeder as a supplement to the daily feed they get from the person who watches the tank...

bt

Quote from: Hookup on July 26, 2011, 01:37:46 PMan auto-cleaning system for the glass however... that would be nice... :)

Bubbles

Rybren

Tim/Az

We're still waiting on an ID for these fish.

Tapping feet impatiently...
120G Reef

dan2x38

Quote from: Rybren on July 26, 2011, 09:35:15 PM
Tim/Az

We're still waiting on an ID for these fish.

Tapping feet impatiently...

and pictures... tap, tap, tap...  :D
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Hookup

I'll get photos   I will   Helping a buddy with finishing his basement is taking time away and we all know how good I am at photos ;)

As for the ID... Nwaiting on Az... He told memat the time ..  But I was like "ohhh pretty, me like". 

kole18

i think this is what the name of your anthias hook up:
Pseudanthias luzonensis (Katayama & Masuda 1973), the Yellow-Lined Anthias. To five and a half inches long. Males with three yellow lines and red spot on their dorsal fin. Males off Gili Air, Lombok, Indonesia or Pseudanthias hypselosoma Bleeker 1878, Stocky Anthias. Maldives to Australia, southern Japan. To 19 cm. in length according to fishbase, though I've never seen one over four inches in the wild. Mabul, Malaysia and N. Sulawesi pix.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anthiina.htm

az

Quote from: kole18 on July 27, 2011, 05:56:48 PM
i think this is what the name of your anthias hook up:
Pseudanthias luzonensis (Katayama & Masuda 1973), the Yellow-Lined Anthias. To five and a half inches long. Males with three yellow lines and red spot on their dorsal fin. Males off Gili Air, Lombok, Indonesia or Pseudanthias hypselosoma Bleeker 1878, Stocky Anthias. Maldives to Australia, southern Japan. To 19 cm. in length according to fishbase, though I've never seen one over four inches in the wild. Mabul, Malaysia and N. Sulawesi pix.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anthiina.htm

nope, but keep looking Peter, I need to know too.
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

kole18

well az, those are more look a like of those anthias in your store as far i can compare anyway im close  ;D

Hookup

photos! 

Definitely looking for an ID.

az

price might go up once we ID them :)
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

Thunda

They really do look like the Square or Pink Anthais though the markings are not as well defined.

http://www.getahugetank.com/salt-water-anthias-fish-c-63_64_131.html

The time we bought them I believe it was said they were Dispar Anthais