New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

About to take the plunge...

Started by shaheed, July 26, 2011, 07:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaheed

Hi everyone.  We just moved here around a month ago from Barrie, ON.  I had just gotten into the marine hobby then -- had a 40g and a 20g that were given to me.  After pricing things out I realized that the 20L was more of a "financially efficient" way to go, and set up the tank for approx 6 months. 

I then found out we were moving to ottawa -- wasn't sure where -- but made the decision to tear the tank down :(

So I've lasted a month.. lol -- I'm gettin the ick (itch) -- and well -- baby steps.. -- for now I joined ovas! :D

Im kinda researching things here -- where people go and what they do...  I realized (later) that buying livestock through locals on forums is MUCH cheaper when looking at frags.  And I kind of wanted to start off a new tank through that route -- and not going to the local franchise.

Basically im considering starting up something under 10g... When I was in barrie I didn't have a ro/di unit, but had a water treatment store I went to and got a great deal for ro/di water (which was manageable b/c of tank size).  Im not sure where to go in Ottawa for this..

Anyways, I'm gonna continue lurking on the forums for a bit, and hope to get to know many of you in the near future. 

This was my tank before taking it down:

Thunda

Welcome to the club.  It's been both a great source of info, knowledge, help and a great bunch of people all around. 

dan2x38

Great to meet ya.

This is also better for the proper thread but "go big or stay home" as they say get a bigger tank... ;)  LOL It is so much easier to manage a bigger tank.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Thunda

might do the same as we did... got our 30g up and running and was looking so cool.  Then the bug bit us hard and poof .. 2nd tank (6 feet )  LOL  ;D

Hookup

Welcome to Ottawa!

And OVAS!

Looking forward to seeing your system grow. 

I believe culigan water is RO/DI and can be purchased at several stores including shoppers drugmart  it is $15/5gal but when you return the container you get $10 back.

Lots of frags in the classifieds for sure.

Again, welcome

Rybren

Welcome to Ottawa!

You'll find lots of good help here at OVAS.  The local LFSs are all top notch - you'll find their contact info in the Sponsor section.

I'm guessing, but are you a member of the CF?  If so, where are you working?  Maybe we could hook up for coffee.
120G Reef

JetJumper

welcome to the forums :)  I happened to notice something the other day while looking through the ads on kijiji for new cool coral frags that might be of interest to you. 

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-RO-DI-Water-Premixed-Saltwater-W0QQAdIdZ297470915

Cheaper then having to go out and get an RODI unit right off the bat!

Its an option for sure.  Don't even have to buy salt then..
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

shaheed

Quote from: Thunda on July 26, 2011, 07:57:49 PM
Welcome to the club.  It's been both a great source of info, knowledge, help and a great bunch of people all around. 
Thank you kindly!

So, sorry I couldn't figure out how to multiquote.. so the 'shout-outs' will have to do for now! :)

@thunda -- yes you are already right.. lol.. this pico/nano is going to be temporary...  We're planning on moving again after this year -- still in ottawa tho.  First years' kind of a 'get to know ottawa'.  Once that final move occurs, then its big tank! :D

@dan2x38 please read above... LOL, yea for now I just want something thats' not nothing!  but you are right.  And this will give me time to save money for all the expensive equipment that comes with a bigger tank..

@hookup good to know... im sure they'll have a deal as well..  The local water spot in barrie had a deal where if you purchased a 'tab' of 40 or so of those 5gallon jugs it came out to $2.50 per jug... so thats not that bad

@rybren CF?

@jetjumper I saw that link too!  I think it might be worth contacting and seeing if there's a 'group buy' option or 'bulk deal'. thanks!

Thunda

That makes sense.  Haven't had to try and move a SW tank yet but moving our 75g freshwater tank was enough of a pain.  It's tough to not go big I found with the sw but even tougher I'm sure not to at least have something and this will get you through until then.   

Rybren

CF=Canadian Forces

I guess the answer is no  :)
120G Reef

shaheed

Quote from: Thunda on July 29, 2011, 10:58:01 AM
That makes sense.  Haven't had to try and move a SW tank yet but moving our 75g freshwater tank was enough of a pain.  It's tough to not go big I found with the sw but even tougher I'm sure not to at least have something and this will get you through until then.   
definitely -- i need SOMETHING at least.. lol

@rybren -- gotcha, and yes the answer is no.. lol

Just got back from aquavalley -- nice store, awesome owner -- spoke to him for a while..  Got into the 'do i really need ro/di' convo -- very interesting to hear that he does not use it!  anyways, i think he kinda convinced me to stick to the 20g i have, and just work with that....   I got a lot to think about... :D

Thunda

Az will tell you how it is for sure.  We've gone in before and asked about this or that.. he'll ask about the tank etc and say yeah or not ready for that.. better wait etc.  Great to talk with and a huge selection.