New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

about the cichlid Gravel

Started by fenlie123, October 13, 2011, 10:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fenlie123

Has anyone used the cichlid Gravel or sand ?  is there any store or online site to buy ?   
looking for the Eco-Complete™Cichlid Zack Black. anyone has any suggestions ?

fischkopp

What kind of cichlids are you planning to keep?

My tanks are home to south american dwarfs. I prefer fine silica sand, actually a mix of Tahitian moon sand and decorative sand from HD.

Many keepers of bigger cichlids use pool filter sand or higher grit sand blasting sand. All are silica based and much cheaper than dedicated aquarium gravels.

Silica is inert, meaning it won't alter the water conditions. That's usually good, although for African tanks it could be preferable if the substrate helps to harden the water. That depends on your tap water / water conditioning. Others will be able to say more about this as I have no experience with Africans.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

fenlie123

Quote from: fischkopp on October 13, 2011, 11:55:53 AM
What kind of cichlids are you planning to keep?

My tanks are home to south american dwarfs. I prefer fine silica sand, actually a mix of Tahitian moon sand and decorative sand from HD.

Many keepers of bigger cichlids use pool filter sand or higher grit sand blasting sand. All are silica based and much cheaper than dedicated aquarium gravels.

Silica is inert, meaning it won't alter the water conditions. That's usually good, although for African tanks it could be preferable if the substrate helps to harden the water. That depends on your tap water / water conditioning. Others will be able to say more about this as I have no experience with Africans.

i forgot to mention, i have the african cichlid. i like the Tahitian Moon sand, and i know Cichlids like sand. but right know i have black gravel, i kinda lost my idea how i want to set up my tank now. i guess i need to spend some time to figure out what want to use.

ajm1961

I use the Cichlid Sahara Sand - kinda salt and pepper colour - and my africans love it! The haps sift though it, and the mbuna dig around. It has helped spawning as well.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

brotherluv

I was told by several people to use aragonite. It works for me as it contrasts the rocks and various colours found in the malawi cichlids..It seems to brighten up the tank.

fenlie123

Quote from: ajm1961 on October 16, 2011, 06:06:45 PM
I use the Cichlid Sahara Sand - kinda salt and pepper colour - and my africans love it! The haps sift though it, and the mbuna dig around. It has helped spawning as well.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=176074&d=1305939862&thumb=1

is this the one you talking about ? do you know where to get it in ottawa?

new_hobby

Quote from: fenlie123 on October 18, 2011, 03:36:23 PM

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=176074&d=1305939862&thumb=1

is this the one you talking about ? do you know where to get it in ottawa?

The last time I bought it from Bigals in Kanata, but you could check with them either the store on the west or east side

ajm1961

The brand I bought from Big Al's on Innes Road about 2 years ago was Carib Sea African Cichlid Mix Sahara Sand. I couldn't find it on their website anymore. Here's the description from the manufacturer. Perhaps BAs can order it in:

http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/cichlid.html
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!