New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hey everyone

Started by PeterD, October 30, 2011, 03:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterD

Hey guys, I'm Peter, new to forum (great to see local aquarium discussion)

Previously I had a 10 gallon planted with a couple of tuxedo platys, which I had to shut down when a new puppy arrived, consuming most of my time. The dog has chilled out now and nearing 2 years, so I'm just starting out my second aquarium, a fresh water 42 gallon tall, which has been up for a week now.

I bought it used and was expecting an empty tank until the day I picked it up when I was told there was a pleco and blue gourami which I agreed to take (rather than tossing them!)  which are doing surprisingly well /so far/ after an emergency setup, but the tank has not cycled and I didn't get the old filter media. Ammonia levels at 0.25 ppm today after partial water and no nitrites yet.  I'd love to get my hands on some established media to help jump start a cycle for these guys for their own health, if someone in Orleans can help!

I'm not sure on the ID of the pleco, it's roughly 8" long (give or take) and I've been told about 5 years old.  I'll post a pic soon.   The blue spotted gourami is about 5" long, female, judging by fin shape.

Long term goals are finding a new home for the pleco and to start planting, low tech.  I haven't made up my mind yet on fish but probably 1 angel (dwarf perhaps? I need to read more on dwarfs) and some tetras of sorts.  Maybe shrimp for cleanup crew but undecided here as well.  Nothing firm yet, other than going planted.

Looking forward to reading discussions on this forum.

tophoo

Rybren

120G Reef

sas

Hi and welcome, :)
if you post your general area that
will help people who would be able to give you some
grungy filter material.

Nerine

Welcome back to the hobby & to OVAS!

Hope to see you out at our November meeting? or the dinner in December??
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts