New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Starfire 79 gallon tank build

Started by charlie, November 09, 2011, 10:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Well the planting party went off well, tank now planted (take1  ;)), now for the hardware & gadgets install .

Cheebs

Ah yes! Papyrus Citizenus, my favorite plant!

Really though, i'm excited to see the tank all filled up!

salvini55

that is a killer aquascape! Did you get the RKL sorted out? There is a night mode, I do not use it so no experience yet but I dont see why the solinoid couldnt be toggled in night mode. Night mode is in the "General" menu. If it is not switched on it will not come up as a function for a control

charlie

Quote from: salvini55 on November 15, 2011, 12:18:33 PM
that is a killer aquascape! Did you get the RKL sorted out? There is a night mode, I do not use it so no experience yet but I dont see why the solinoid couldnt be toggled in night mode. Night mode is in the "General" menu. If it is not switched on it will not come up as a function for a control
Quote from: Chubs on November 15, 2011, 11:20:30 AM
Ah yes! Papyrus Citizenus, my favorite plant!

Really though, i'm excited to see the tank all filled up!

Thanks , no i have not done any research on it as yet, too pre occupied  ;), if you figure it out let me the first to know  :)

Phil, it`s filled , soon to be revealed in it`s infancy stage, i can`t wait for the plants to grow & fill in , then to trim into shape.

charlie

All hardware installed & working, Tek 4x54 Elite light is next to PU.The tank is a bit hazy but i took a quick snap shot of it, hopefully when the plants fill in & trimed you will get a better view of it, already  some CRS shrimps hitch hiked over in some Anubias that was holding in the shrimp tank.
In the pics you will see on the right side the inline UP atomize on filter 1 that will provide CO2 misting, under the tank is a maze of hoses & wires, included in this is 2 X Eheim Pro II filters, DIY CO 2 reactor driven by a Eheim compact 2000 pump, this also provides circulation with the return in the back middle of the tank, the Reefkeeper Lite 3 & Coralife Turbo Twist steralizer that is in line on fliter 2 is also housed in the cabinet, the 300 watt Hydor in line is also in the cabinet & hooked up in line to filter 1.,the 20 lb & dual CO2 Sumo custom built rig also finds a space in there.
Thanks for all your comments so far , I will try to keep this thread updated as the tank evolves, it will be a strange feeling having one planted tank :)

Stussi613

I can honestly say that's the nicest planted tank ive ever seen.

Amazing job Erroll!!

Feel like coming over and re-doing my tank for me?? ;D
I haz reef tanks.

Jeff1192

Wow!

Really....what more needs to be said!

Nice job as usual.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Peekay

Wow Charlie!  Beautiful.

I can't believe that's a 'just planted last night' level of planting.  :P
Obviously you had quite a robust stock in your old tanks!

Looking forward to seeing this grow.

magnosis

Absolutely amazing  8)

You know you're dealing with a guru when the tank looks phenomenal barely a few days after setup :D

Cheebs

Holy crap!!! That's even better than I expected!

Consigliere

Looking good Charlie.  A nice start thats for sure.  I've got a photo of a few pieces of wood I have if you're still interested send me a PM.  How long is your lighting cycle?  Are you running all 4 lights all the time?

Mind listing the plants you put in? 

Have to say with water in the tank the starfire glass is unbelievable compared to "regular".  Keep up the good work!

charlie

Thanks for all you kind comments, the truth is i owe a lot to the people in our club, several of whom took the time & effort to help me along the way from the early days to this day ( you guys know who you are, big thank you).
My advice to anyone interested in planted aquarium from low light /low tech to high light/high tech., is to take the time & meet with fellow planted tank hobbyist one on one even @ social gatherings, the web is full of information , much of it is dated & mis- interpeted, i see it everyday on forums, typically you will see folks read info & pass it on as gospel not knowing if it is current, factual or applicable to the specific tank or plant, as one of my mentors would say" do then talk, no do no talk"Tom Barr.
In Ottawa the water is very conducive to planted aquarium, a big plus for us, they are several hobbyist locally who is only willing to help guide you if you take the time to tap into their experience,I did.
As for the tank looking good , that is mainly due to the fact that all the plants except the glosso had being well established in my mini plethora of planted tanks, some has been with me for years, so in essence they were plug and play.
I should add that the bells & whistles are not a must have to do planted tanks, having a basic understanding of the requirements of different plants in relation to light intensity & nutrients is the key to long term enjoyment & success.
Regards

charlie

Quote from: Consigliere on November 16, 2011, 11:15:36 AM
Looking good Charlie.  A nice start thats for sure.  I've got a photo of a few pieces of wood I have if you're still interested send me a PM.  How long is your lighting cycle?  Are you running all 4 lights all the time?

Mind listing the plants you put in?  

Have to say with water in the tank the starfire glass is unbelievable compared to "regular".  Keep up the good work!
Thanks Dave, all good for wood for this build.

The list of plants was my next project but you beat me to it :), here it goes, i`ll try & list them from left to right- front row to back row
Front row  L-R
Didiplis diandra ,Glossostigma elatinoides ,Riccia fluitans ,Blyxa japonica .
2nd row
Lysimachia nummularia aka creeping jenny,Anubia ,Java Fern,Pogostemon helferi, Alternanthera reineckii ( this is the plant that got me interested) This plant was mistakenly ID it is Ludwigia Glandulosa,Eriocaulon Setaceum.
back row
Rotala sp. "green",Proserpinaca palustris ''Cuba'' ,Ludwiga brevipes,Hemianthus micranthemoides ,Tonina sp. fluviatilis ,Rotala Vietnam,Rotala pusilla,Ludwiga Arcuata.
I think that`s it, of course over time this can change at any give time ;), several  of these plants are not common in our local market but was acquired from out of town trips & trade & or free from fellow planted tank hobbyist, this is another reason to get involved one on one.

Lighting cycle that works for me is 8 hrs 1.00 PM - 9.00PM, not all the lights are on full intensity, in my previous set ups it will be more common to have 3 x 54 watt T5 HO for the full 8 hrs & the 4 th on for 2 hrs sometime in mid stream on another tank the 59 gallon, it was 2x54 T5 Ho for the full 8 hrs & the 3 rd one on for 3 hrs.
Regards
Up Date Plant list - all plants that is strike through has being removed & up date on Plant ID.

charlie

The tek light 4 x 54 watt T5 ho Elite was picked up & installed, thanks to" Ray`s marine livestock & Aquatic supplies" who also supplied the Reefkeeper lite 3 pkg, you have always being accommodating & honest.
Sometime in the future , i will consider adding a top up system, since it`s an open top display evaporation will be an issue.
Pics added

charlie

Live stock added today, they all seem happy in their new home, i will be adding another 30 or so Cardinals down the road.
11 Kulhi loaches
9 Sterbai Cories
2 SAE for now 
1 BN pleco- 1 more later
4 otto cats
17 Cardinals
& a lot of Cherry shrimp
Regards

Shawn84

Can't wait to see all the plant take off. I love the wood decor. Maybe next time i'm in Tdot i will stop by A.I and pick me up some. :) Now i am posted in the right place. Planning on getting any more oto?
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Hookup

Rybren

Errol,

The tank looks fantastic.  Almost makes me want to go back to FW - Almost.  ;D

Great job!

Jerry
120G Reef

daworldisblack

The more i follow the thread the more I find myself wanting a similar set up! Its looking pretty darn good! Certainly a trail-blazer and an inspiring piece Errol, I'm sure we're in awe everytime a new pic gets posted! Definitely something to aspire towards!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Thanks guys.
I will be updating this build regularly,so FTS will be forthcoming.