New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Attack of the snails

Started by Medym, January 18, 2012, 08:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medym

So here I was leaning back, playing some Star Wars The Old Republic and I gaze carefully into my little pico to notice a horde of snails throughout my tank.  I have noticed one or two small offspring, but I have realized, they are everywhere!

I have highlighted a number of them in the image below:

Should I be concerned, if so, what should I be doing to take on the scourge?

salvini55

HAHA! your trochus have spawned!! mine spawned aswell! It must be the season or a temp flux, I knew it! Its so exciting! Vafa is gonna be pissed when he sees this... We must keep our breeding secrets from him!

I wish I had as many as you but my skimmer has taken most of them...

Medym

It is unreal the amount of these little guys which are puttering around in my tank.  Its only 4.6 gallons and there are dozens of them.  There are even more in my AC70 which are going to town inside the ball of chaeto in there.

Greatwhite

At night, my tank is COVERED by little snails like these.. There are so many that there are snails on snails...  I don't think mine are trochus, and can't really tell from your picture if it's the same as mine.  They are another kind of snail that stays small like that (1-2mm) -- can't remember the name I was told.

I'd love to have something in my tank that would eat them - but don't want my "intentional" snails eaten...

HomerJ

Quote from: salvini55 on January 19, 2012, 02:36:27 AM
HAHA! your trochus have spawned!! mine spawned aswell! It must be the season or a temp flux, I knew it! Its so exciting! Vafa is gonna be pissed when he sees this... We must keep our breeding secrets from him!

I wish I had as many as you but my skimmer has taken most of them...

That's odd, I have just noticed the same in my tank too!  Tons of them on the glass and rocks at night!

Medym

Quote from: HomerJ on January 19, 2012, 12:12:44 PM
That's odd, I have just noticed the same in my tank too!  Tons of them on the glass and rocks at night!

So they are attacking!

salvini55

If they are white and only appear at night, they are collonista snails.

brotherluv

I'm checking my tanks tonight...I just saw a peppermint shrimp which I havent seen in 3 months since I bought it...I hope the other 2 are alive as well.