New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

a wider layout?

Started by rgauvin, January 21, 2012, 02:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgauvin

It's pretty much the norm for computers nowadays to come with screens with a resolution of 1680-1920 pixels wide, yet the current layout of the forum limits displaying posts to ~800 pixels pixels wide. Any picture that is posted that is of a size wider then 800 pixels can't be displayed without scrolling.

For example I posted what I'd call 2 modest sized pictures (one of them is reposted here for example) and you need you scroll to see the entire picture because the forum limits the display area.

Is there anyway to increase the "width" of the forum? Many different forum softwares have a form of "dynamic" mode so that as an end user increases or decreases the size of their browsing window, the viewable area of the forum increases in width or decreases. it is a great compromise so that those with larger screens can use the "real estate" while not punishing those who haven't upgraded their monitors in the last year or 2.

garnpet

The theme that we are using does not lend itself easily to dynamic scaling.  We are a couple of versions of SMF behind and I plan to do an update sometime after my son finishes his hockey season.  At that time most likely there will be a change to the forum layout as this one is too restrictive when making modifications.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Brine

I right click on the image and select view image to look at images larger than the format allows.

Rybren

That doesn't seem to be an option for me running IE9
120G Reef

Brine

Quote from: Rybren on February 07, 2012, 05:04:27 PM
That doesn't seem to be an option for me running IE9
running firefox

Greatwhite

.. i just use smaller pictures.  Really, I don't see a need for a 10" hermit crab picture... Pic o' the month contests are just as easily won with a picture you don't have to scroll left/right to see all of.

just sayin'....

JetJumper

over half of my screen is white because the site doesn't fill out for me.. I like 100% width sites.  I am sure this one would be easy to modify.  Its usually just a value in the CSS scripts.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Greatwhite

I'm actually a big fan of the subject of use of whitespace in software...  I build software for a big company in the US.  90% of the people who use the software have 26" monitors on their desks and they demand 1600px wide screens -- but then there's the old farts with 14" monitors running at 800x600 who would then be unable to use the software, so I was able to talk them down from 1600 to 1024....

I've started building new views of my screens sized to fit on iPads - and have to start thinking of how to compress everything to iPhone size.  There's just so many display types to consider. 

Granted, a good web site like this would be able to support a % based display since it's pretty simple display.