New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

my 14 gallon biocube

Started by matycake, January 22, 2012, 11:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matycake

I've been in to the salt water seen (aquarium) in general for just over 8 months now, I did not know it was so addicting:p I started with a 37 gallon and now up to a 125gallon tank, so now I've decided I want a small tank in my room.
So I went out and got my self a 14 gallon biocube from oceanic I plan on doing some mods to the tank like changing the lights, not sure want I'm gonna get yet. I will also be adding a skimmer and a mp10w not sure what skimmer to go with seeing as thee is not so much room might have to go with the oceanic skimmer
Open ears to all comments and tips

Hookup

I saw a nice setup from an OVAS member who had plumbed the two systems together.  A main display reef and a small speciality tank for LPS.  Maybe you could do that as it would eliminate to cost of a skimmer?

brotherluv

I have been told tunze makes a small enough model to fit your aquarium...if systems are connected and something bad happens in one...

beertech

I think the benefits of having the nano plumbed into a larger, more stable system outweigh any possible risks.
  You won't have to worry about much of a cycle, and if a fish or something dies in the nano, it won't be enough of a bioload to crash the whole tank.
Also, water changes, top offs and dosing etc.. can just be done in one location.

matycake

I was thinking of plumbing them as one but it would be way to much work seeing as one tank is in the basement and the other is upstairs    ??? So that was out of the question

fishdaddy

I agree with plumbing it to your bigger tank! i am going to put a small nano in my house and plumb it in to my main system. my sump is in the basement and my main 220g is in the living room(3erd floor) . i plan on putting the  nano on the second floor and  running the systems together. makes for a more stable tank! it will take some fancy plumbing but it can be done. ask Hookup about fancy plumbing!!! :)

matycake

I know all about plumbing seeing as I am one :P but I don't want rip the dry wall down and such, and I plan on moving in the next couple of years but I am interested in seeing so plumbing job that some of you guys have done for when i get me next house

matycake

So after work I plan on picking up 10lb of live sand to get my tank started I have a lot of extra live rock at home so I'll be picking the nice small ones to go in to the bio cube
I will be taking out all the bio ball and adding live rock in the back for now until I get my self a skimmer

NewReef

I would NOT use live sand because its actually dead! Just get normal reef sand and let your live rock biobugs take care of the cycle.