New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cleaner shrimps full of eggs...

Started by HomerJ, January 24, 2012, 12:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerJ

I have 2 cleaner shrimps in my biocube that are full of eggs. 

Is there anything I can do to try to raise baby shrimps or is this too complicated?

Oddly enough, that 14 gallon cube seems healthier than my 50 gallons tank!

Greatwhite

If both cleaners are full of eggs, they're both female and advances in home science haven't progressed to cloning shrimp yet.  Those eggs are just going to be carried around until it molts, and then eaten by your fish.

I've heard that people have been lucky in raising them, but it can be very tricky to get them started.  Of course, that relies greatly on having a male too.

kole18

I've seen many times my shrimp spitting eggs out off it's belly during the day & my anthias it so crazy chasing all those tiny eggs floating everywhere my tank. In my sump I've seen baby's shrimp there but not really sure if it's shrimp or pods ;D

Greatwhite

Quote from: kole18 on January 24, 2012, 02:03:38 PM
I've seen many times my shrimp spitting eggs out off it's belly during the day & my anthias it so crazy chasing all those tiny eggs floating everywhere my tank. In my sump I've seen baby's shrimp there but not really sure if it's shrimp or pods ;D

Probably pods...  My fish go nuts every now & then too.  Usually it's after dark, and one lucky Chromis is out for a midnight swim.  It's amazing how fast he can move. :)

kole18

It's good food for clownfish too :) & of course this crazy wrasses that I have in my tank also my spotted mandarin & my dragon pipefish the oldest fish in my tank:)

mchotdog

Quote from: Greatwhite on January 24, 2012, 12:37:00 PM
If both cleaners are full of eggs, they're both female and advances in home science haven't progressed to cloning shrimp yet.  Those eggs are just going to be carried around until it molts, and then eaten by your fish.

I've heard that people have been lucky in raising them, but it can be very tricky to get them started.  Of course, that relies greatly on having a male too.
cleaner shrimps carry both male and female sex organs. they pass their sperm to each other after molting.
my shrimps spawn every couple weeks. both carry eggs the whole time.
after i shut off my lights last night, within one minute, one shrimp climbed to the top of the tank and released the free swimming baby shrimps. my clowns started feeding right away. nothing left this morning.
its really hard to raise them. they spend 6 months of their life as swimming plankton.
you can tell when the shrimp is about to spawn, when they are ready, the eggs will change to orange/yellow color and you can see tiny black eyes.

brotherluv

It seems as though I'm learning something new everyday!  Cool info on those shrimps! 

Greatwhite

Quote from: mchotdog on January 24, 2012, 07:26:36 PM
cleaner shrimps carry both male and female sex organs. they pass their sperm to each other after molting.

touche... :)

HomerJ

So would moving the shrimps to their own tank, away from "predators" until they hatch be futile?  I'm more curious than anything, I have no plan to start shrimp farming!

gvv

mchotdog is right and you will have babies from both of them

Yes, they will hatch - I had the shrimp babies (cleaner, blood shrimp) several times, but I had problems with growing them... After about a week i was loosing them

Hookup

LOL @ SHRIMP FARMING....

images of you riding around the open planes on a tang with a kelp lasso trying to wrangle up some stray shrimp...  yeee haaw