New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone can help indentify this fish?

Started by xan2, February 05, 2012, 11:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xan2

Hi folks, i have had this fish in my reef and seems to bit at corals, i might be wrong too! Therefor i'd like to identify and read lil more about this fish before i decide to keep it or not.

Thanks.

A6tiger

i think it would be a green blotched parrot fish also called quoy's parrotfish haven't found much info but they live in coral reef but dont know if it would be the one nipping at them
http://australianmuseum.net.au/image/Greenblotch-Parrotfish-at-Redang-Island

Thunda

Got this from a web page while looking up parrotfish

"Parrotfish Diet

The parrotfish diet consists primarily of algae which they extract from chunks of coral that are ripped from the reef.  They pulverize the coral with their grinding teeth in order to digest the polyps.

Parrotfish also eat a wide variety of reef organisms and even though they are considered herbivores they are not vegetarian."

cdylnicki

I remember snorkelling in australia you could hear them breaking off chunks of rock!

Sharbuckle

ive never seen one succesfully kept in an aquarium, unless youre willing to spend thousands of dollars feeding it with sps coral. IMO they should be kept in the wild

kole18

I've seen this many times in Europe when I was there, & in a reef tank. This is popular in Austria, Vienna a bit expensive too. Not really sure this fish eats coral all I know it nips the rocks or chew :)