New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

48 gallon Rimless build

Started by blizzack1, March 02, 2012, 06:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSF

Even if you put one Radion high enough over your tank that you get the spread you want, you are still only shinning light at your corals from one central location. You get a lot of shadowing on the back side of everything. I have 33 gallon with one AI. It is plenty of strength, but the light only hits the the side of the coral facing the light. If you have two AI vs. one Radion I would say two AIs. It will fill the tank so much more. It will be way more strength than you need though. Malyon has two AIs over a 90 gallon and he barely goes over 50% at peak parts of the day. His tank looks great. No dead spots at all, nice and bright without shadows. He has a fair amount of thriving sps in there too.

blizzack1

Quote from: NanoSF on March 10, 2012, 10:51:40 AM
Even if you put one Radion high enough over your tank that you get the spread you want, you are still only shinning light at your corals from one central location. You get a lot of shadowing on the back side of everything. I have 33 gallon with one AI. It is plenty of strength, but the light only hits the the side of the coral facing the light. If you have two AI vs. one Radion I would say two AIs. It will fill the tank so much more. It will be way more strength than you need though. Malyon has two AIs over a 90 gallon and he barely goes over 50% at peak parts of the day. His tank looks great. No dead spots at all, nice and bright without shadows. He has a fair amount of thriving sps in there too.

Thanks for the input.

I really need to make a decision, as I have a tank sitting with a CUC and no light, only one powerhead and no fish/coral...

blizzack1

Quote from: blizzack1 on March 09, 2012, 01:13:52 PMAfter a close inspection of a seal on the corner yesterday that may come sooner than later.  The seal in the back corner is fine on the inside of the tank if you run your hand along it, but on the outside of the tank there are some big gaps that have appeared.

I'm hoping they caulked the outside for cosmetic purpses, but I'm not so sure and I'm nervous about it, to say the least.  I will take a photo tonight.

I guess I wasn't as nervous about it as I though. Here is a photo.

I assume this needs to be addressed. My question is: is this a DIY fix, or do I need a new tank?

Thanks team!