New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The epic rimless starphire project

Started by fischkopp, March 06, 2012, 01:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

Progress has been slow. One could say there is none. But I went out to Ikea today with the mission to find a stand for this tank that would look somewhat modern. I had a kids office desk in mind that looked ok on the picture, but it turned out to flimsy for the weight of a 48gal  in reality. Most cabinets of matching size have drawers only, but I prefer doors. So I came home empty handed. Does anyone have an idea where I could find some interesting furniture, fitting a 90x45cm tank?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

JetJumper

haha, thats awesome.  I was at Ikea as well today hunting for a tank stand as well.  All drawers and no doors for what interested me :( 

Good luck on the hunt!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Feivel

Try a diy build? Can be cheap if u have a tablesaw already or are handy with a circular saw couple 2x6 some screw a bit of pl adhesive. You can Use the leftover plywood for doors. And a peice of styrofoam to avoid, pin points or, pressure spots. You can close it up anyway you wish. Interlocking paneling, plywood, ceramics, drapery etc. mine cost about 50$ for a 4foot tank.

charlie

These are sold in separate modules, not sure if it`s your taste pallet though , i was looking at these recently
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/storage-cabinet/922709

exv152

Quote from: fischkopp on April 28, 2012, 08:38:53 PM
Progress has been slow. One could say there is none. But I went out to Ikea today with the mission to find a stand for this tank that would look somewhat modern. I had a kids office desk in mind that looked ok on the picture, but it turned out to flimsy for the weight of a 48gal  in reality. Most cabinets of matching size have drawers only, but I prefer doors. So I came home empty handed. Does anyone have an idea where I could find some interesting furniture, fitting a 90x45cm tank?

If you know how to swing a power tool, you might be able to make one http://www.aquascapingworld.com/magazine/Magazine/Tips-Creating-a-DIY-ADA-Stand.html.

Or get the stand that was made for it...http://www.aquainspiration.com/nproductdetail.asp?PIN=AS&PNAME=AI&PSIZE=904575
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Monte

I always build my own stands.  ;D

Nothing in the stores seems to be built strong enough. I always use 2x4's for the frames and cover them with the finished look that I want.

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=53288.0
40 Gallon Breeder

fischkopp

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

I was really hoping to save myself some time by getting something that will just work. Will check out AI next week, but I don't think I like the style too much. So I am slowly starting to think about my own stand/cabinet built, but I still have some unfinished business on the other epic project ....

Eric, I like the DIY ADA build, although it looks like a lot of work. Can we get laminate somewhere in Ottawa?
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

exv152

Quote from: fischkopp on April 29, 2012, 03:33:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your ideas!
I was really hoping to save myself some time by getting something that will just work. Will check out AI next week, but I don't think I like the style too much. So I am slowly starting to think about my own stand/cabinet built, but I still have some unfinished business on the other epic project ....

Eric, I like the DIY ADA build, although it looks like a lot of work. Can we get laminate somewhere in Ottawa?

Robert, I've had a first hand look at AI's cabinets and even though you will get the exact dimensions you need, I also didn't like the quality of the cabinet itself, for the price. I  then toyed around with the idea of making my own after seeing this video and the article http://www.projectaquarium.com/plantedAquariumArticles_ADAAquariumStand.aspx, but the laminate was the thing that convinced me to just make the stand out of nice wood finish, and stain it. I wasn't able to find anyone local who does laminate.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Feivel

I know a pro wood worker. Steven labelle. Hes more of a kitchen bathroom guy but he has a full woodshop. You can see if he has some time for ya :-)  he also teaches a wood shop at algonquin. What you want is what you will get. Hees not an aquarium guy so make sure u know your clearences.(sump wise and all) or insert the sump the put the tank support surface (sheet of plywood) back and cover with styrofoam. Make sure there a lip coming up a bit higher to cover this. There a beautoful selectiion of hinges and spring loaded door clips handles etc at home depot depending on the look you like. Materials will be about 80-1oo$ .... Thats material wise how much i spent on mnine. For a 4'x18". The stand is i think 36 tall and sump is 3" off bottom. The styrofoam comes out 2" from border of tank. Depending on what is used to finish it stain it all your favorite color and voila. A beautiful 1000$ stand for peanuts lol

fischkopp

I promised you I slow build, didn't I?  ;)

Well, not so much happened over the summer. The tank has been sitting in its box at the designated spot, waiting to get out. But I didn't let it since there was no place to put it. I had picked up a stand during the summer, a bathroom sink cabinet. It didn't have the right dimensions, was smaller than the tank, so I got never really started on it. Then, two weekends ago, another trip to Ikea with the mission to find a counter top that would fit the tank. And while we find a nice top, there was an even nicer cabinet that would work perfect for the tank - for less than the counter top. An easy pick. Anybody need a bathroom cabinet?  :)

The new cabinet used to be a display and already went through some major Ikea hacking, mainly adding decorative panels, a counter and handles to a kitchen grade cabinet, best particle board. Width and hight was perfect, it was only a little too deep for us as it is going to sit in a hallway. So I would have to take it apart, cut some of it away, and then put it all back together. I also added a bit more extra wood to handle the weight. And the flimsy board in the back is replaced by another particle board for more stability. The cabinet came with ugly plastic feet. These may work well in kitchens, but I didn't trust them with the weight of the aquarium. Instead we got some stylish metal feet, which cost as much as the cabinet itself. Well, the cabinet was a steal ...  :)

Here are some pics. Enjoy.

The tank. Waiting to be unpacked.

The cabinet/stand we got from Ikea. Almost perfect, just a little too big.

Everything is taken apart. About 1/2 ft has to be cut on each panel.

The cut-off from the side panel went back in to allow shelves to be added on one side. The feet got also upgraded.

Adding some extra support inside the stand, as well as another board in the back to keep it stable.

Finally, the tank is were it belongs. It almost seems like there is fish in it already ...

... or its simply a reflection from the tank at the opposite wall.  :)

The light is next. Stay tuned.
my fish suck

charlie

pm

Very nice, and thanks for showing the ikea hacking... it is giving me ideas for my same sized tank.

Love the shot with the reflection too, very cool.  8)

daworldisblack

Whaaaat! This is awesome! I hope the next post doesn't take as long :p
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

76brian

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 30, 2012, 10:14:13 AM
Whaaaat! This is awesome! I hope the next post doesn't take as long :p

What he said... Can't wait to see the rest!

exv152

Looks very nice in deed. Did you drill that hole in the top panel for hoses & wires or did it come like that ?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fischkopp

Thanks guys! I was hoping to get it running within the next 4 weeks. It's mainly just figuring out how to install the lights. the rest is gonna be aqua-scaping fun ...

The hole was already there, but that end got cut off, so it's gone now. I will be drilling a few smaller holes later for tubes and pipes.

Does anybody know where I can find a not too thick mat-something to put between tank and cabinet? I currently use 1/2' thick Styrofoam (found at Lowe), which works well, but is maybe a little too thick and not as pretty to look at from the side. Polyethylen maybe, but where to find it? Anything in white/gray/black would work.
my fish suck

daworldisblack

Quote from: fischkopp on October 30, 2012, 02:28:06 PM

Does anybody know where I can find a not too thick mat-something to put between tank and cabinet? I currently use 1/2' thick Styrofoam (found at Lowe), which works well, but is maybe a little too thick and not as pretty to look at from the side. Polyethylen maybe, but where to find it? Anything in white/gray/black would work.

What about those foam boards from Staples, Zellers etc. Same area where you find bristol boards but these are thinner foam boards. I'm using a couple of these for my tanks and they seem to do the job and are inconspicuous. They comes in black and white options I think. Black is my vote. Maybe get 3-4 layers.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=916648&affixedcode=WW

Might be on the pricier side for a bigger dimension but I think Zellers has 'em cheaper.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Quote from: fischkopp on October 30, 2012, 02:28:06 PMDoes anybody know where I can find a not too thick mat-something to put between tank and cabinet? I currently use 1/2' thick Styrofoam (found at Lowe), which works well, but is maybe a little too thick and not as pretty to look at from the side. Polyethylen maybe, but where to find it? Anything in white/gray/black would work.

I got a $6 rubber drawer liner from Canadian Tire for my rimless starfire, it's not the one with holes in it, but a solid piece of rubber. It works great and it provides just the right thickness that you get with the ADA liners.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

For my 10 gallon i used black carpet underpad that was thrown out, very very cheap :P
alternatively Princess auto have various black rubber sheets, not sure on thickness or prices.
Errol

Peekay

Looking great already!  can't wait to see what's next.