New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

5 Bar Mystery Wrasse reef safe or not!

Started by kole18, March 09, 2012, 11:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kole18

My wrasse ate my pair of blood shrimp >:(, this is a brutal wrasse right infront of me >:(. I don't know if this is a reef safe anymore. I was wondering anyone of you have same problem with this kind of wrasse in your reef tank?I've got a green coris & dusky wrasse these 2 wrasse have been in my tank for almost a year now &  I haven't seen bothering my shrimp & its bigger than my mystery wrasse. holy cow this mystery ate my blood shrimp in a matter of minute. I feed this fish well atleast 3x & still got tasted my shrimp. Oh that's it your dead >:(

JetJumper

Dude, that really sucks!  I never knew they did that :|

Don't kill him!!!!  I will gladly give him a home with no shrimp if you just want to get rid of it! 

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

kole18

I just said his dead lol meaning his gone in my tank for sure, but who will take this fish anyway now they know might go after you small fish too as well. my 2 neon goby too just dissapear in my tank & I suspected the wrasse as well. >:(

az

sell it peter dont kill it.

when i first started one purple pseudochromis ate 30 blood shrimp in 2 weeks, those days stores were selling them at $50+ each.

:-\
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

kole18

I'm not going to kill it az just kidding lol, i just said this fish is dead just my own expression ;D. the thing what i hate is the most its when time I feeding my fish & its right infront me this wrasse taking all apart my blood shrimp >:(. How would you feel about that right infront of you & i knew a week ago he ate  1 of my blood shrimp too which is i never seen doing it & i know my pair of neon goby his also one of the reason its all gone in my tank. :(

xenon

The behavior you are describing is totally normal for a mystery wrasse.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2971+355&pcatid=355

This hard to find species is suitable for a 55 gallon or larger aquarium with lots of live rock and a sandy bottom. It is an excellent fish for a reef aquarium and passive with most popular reef fish, including other wrasses. It is constantly searching for live foods in the form of small crustaceans like pyramidellid snails and commensal flatworms. When full grown, mature Mystery Wrasse may take a liking to smaller ornamental shrimp that are introduced after the wrasse is established in the reef aquarium.

kole18

This wrasse been in my tank from 45g to 70g no issue of liking my shrimp I well feed this wrasse. Somehow today he ate my shrimp, I guess he doesn't like the mysis probably nanny this is too small I want that red shrimp   ;D fat & tasty too.  ;D

kole18

Probably the wrasse think mysis isn't that enough, I'd better try the blood shrimp  ;D

az

few puffers i had ate all the blood shrimps in the tank but never touched the cleaner shrimps.  maybe they are tasty!
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

kole18

Still in my tank, w/ skunk shrimp I will cross my finger hope not to touch my pair of skunk cleaner or else you would probably see me at your store as asking for shrimp ;D.

kole18

Wow my mystery wrasse it doesn't seems to bother my 2 skunk shrimp I've seen been clean my 2 shrimp. But he ate my 2 blood shrimp wierd :) what's wrong with blood shrimp it makes him to decide to taste it lol.