New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cutting frags ... How to?

Started by Feivel, March 23, 2012, 05:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feivel

Hey guys i had a question about how to cut frags. My tank has been set for a year, just upgraded to a 75 and my buttton polyps seem to have outgrown a bit and is killing the base of one of my sps. What tools would i need to do this, how and where do i cut? How do i cure it after so it doesnt die and i can offer frags after its all done :-)

At the same tim i cant remember the name of the green sps. Any help?
Third question ... I know im pushing it but notice the mushrooms? Why do they not open, the red ones are fine but the purple in the right corner of the pic dont seem to open

Cheers

beertech

Hey,
The green sps is Hydnophora.

The purple mushrooms aren't opening because they are sensitive to light and are getting more than they need. If you move them to a lower light area they will expand.

To frag those polyps, you would have to break apart the rock they are on, and slice the layer of connecting tissue with a razor or exacto knife.

Malyon18

Ya seb fragging them polyps might be a little tricky, it may be easier to relocate the sps. What I do with my polyps is I try to surround the boarder of them with frag plugs and as they expand and cover the plug I just remove it and replace it with a new plug, and voila a nice plug covered in polyps.

If you are going to try and frag the polyps, bone cutter also known by some as side cutters may be used, also another thing I like to use is my dremel with a diamond bit blade, usually cuts through rock pretty good
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"