New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Baby Tessalata eel

Started by Amy, April 02, 2012, 11:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

I bought a baby Gymnothorax favagineus like 2 months ago. She is adorable!  :-*
Okay I say she, but I have no idea if it's a female or not, but I named her "Tessa" the Tessalata eel.

I keep her in a 30g for now with a HOB reef octopus skimmer and powercompacts, I have some lps and softies in there that seem to love all that nitrate! My xenias, mushrooms and leathers have doubled in size since they're in that tank, and they have beautiful colors now. The only thing that's not doing so well in there is a green star polyp frag... it's not growing but everything else is going nuts! I have ONE big hermit and 3 snails for a cleaning crew. I've had a minor algae growth but now it's all gone. The water is crystal clear and I pass the mag float on the glass once a week, the windows are 100% clean.  Not bad for a temporary tank, I'm really satisfied with that set up, I thought it was going to look really bad after a month. 

Now for the pics:
This is when I got her:

And those pics were taken like 2 weeks ago:

Here's a video of her first feeding! ( well, technically the second, she ate a big Molly before the silversides)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=kIfa0merSHM

She has grown a bit more since that video. I feed her octopus rings, pieces of squid and silversides now. She gulps everything down in a matter of seconds! I'm glad she's a good feeder and not just a plain aggressive eel, as she was when I got her.
I can still keep my hands in the tank and move around some corals, she will just look at my fingers, but she doesn't take interest in them!  :D

I still need to feed her with tongues though lol! When it's feeding time, she goes berserk and doesn't use her eyes at all!

I'll make a new video of her tonight so you can see the difference in size in just 2 months!

Hookup

that is awesome... the "temp tank" looks awesome and the eel sure looks happy!

washefuzzy