New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

15G AIO

Started by bizfromqc, May 30, 2012, 03:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bizfromqc

Quote from: salvini55 on May 31, 2012, 10:08:15 AM
I like your plans, two suggestions/pointers, evaporation will run that return section dry at least once a day if not more so an auto top off system is a good plan or due diligence when it comes to that. Ditch the CPE an Puregin and get a filter sock and put some quality activated carbon in there. That should offset the need for a skimmer.

Wow, that quickly hey? I knew evaporation would be an issue in a smaller system and was considering putting a cover to alleviate a bit of it. Obvious downside to cover is light penetration but at only 12in deep, it might not be such an issue for the corals I want to keep. This will call for experimentation  :)

I like the idea of the sock and activated carbon, lot cheaper than Purigen and CPE. Like most everything else in this hobby, the use of these products versus activated carbon seems to split the hobbyist 50/50. I'd like to have the section built-in for mechanical/chemical filtration IN CASE it's needed, if it's not well it'll just run empty, well with water that is ;)

bizfromqc

Quote from: shannon333 on May 31, 2012, 10:29:47 AM
bizfromqc, let me know how the sump at the back of the tank works.
I have the same idea(different project) for something like that (breeder tank )

What size tank and sump section dimensions did you have in mind?

For the 15G, I was thinking a depth of 3" would be enough to house the equipment and media and bring the sump section to 25% of the total volume, 11.25G for the display and 3.75G for the sump (versus a 4" side sump area that would equate to 2.5G for the sump area and 12.5G for the diaplay)

It decreases the display area volume but it allows for more horizontal room in the tank and possibly more options (eventual skimmer, more cheato, etc...) in the sump area and better aquascaping options and creative placement of corals in the tank.

bizfromqc

Quote from: Hookup on May 31, 2012, 09:54:55 AM
I see the hair-algae thing and all i think is... Why not fix the root cause of the algae... (just for a third point of view on the same debate)...

I'm with you on that one. Same goes with FW and Planted tanks.

Quote from: Hookup on May 31, 2012, 09:54:55 AM
is it daunting, yes... and fun... 

SW is about creating balance in an unbalanced changing system...

That's what makes this hobby fun (and sometimes frustrating) right?  :)

bt

With your current dimensions, you'll probably have somewhere in the range of 0.7-0.75 gallons in the return chamber when it's fully topped up.  You might be able to push it to almost 0.25g left in chamber before it becomes a problem.

I know for my 10G QT tank it takes over a week to lose 1 gallon to evap.  The 15g has more surface area, and your design will have more surface agitation than my QT does, so you'll evap faster than that - but I doubt you'd go through half a gallon a day.

salvini55

Your probably right bt, I didnt do any math to support my statement... I lose up to 3 gallons or more a day on my system. I was really just pointing out that it will get old quick topping off a return section of that size. With covers though I dont see it being as big an issue  ;D

shannon333

bizfromqc, Well, I bought a mastercraft metal stand from Canadiantire, and I'm hoping that a long 30 g will fit.
(no I haven't measured the tank to make sure it fits. I do what I've always done. Jump head first into something and make it work.lol)
I plan to have either 3X 30 longs for breeding and a 30 long sump or 4X 30 longs and incorporate the sump in a fry tank some way, like your doing.
...and have all tanks plumbed together.

bizfromqc

Quote from: shannon333 on May 31, 2012, 04:28:18 PM
bizfromqc, Well, I bought a mastercraft metal stand from Canadiantire, and I'm hoping that a long 30 g will fit.
(no I haven't measured the tank to make sure it fits. I do what I've always done. Jump head first into something and make it work.lol)
I plan to have either 3X 30 longs for breeding and a 30 long sump or 4X 30 longs and incorporate the sump in a fry tank some way, like your doing.
...and have all tanks plumbed together.

Sounds like a fun project  :)

I've been checking out the Costco metal shelves and they would do a great job housing a couple of tanks for a breeding setup. They have a couple of models but some of they support a ridiculous amount of weight per shelve  that might just fit the bill.

For now though, I need to finish this 15G first ;)

shannon333

Biz, one thing everyone will agree on ,is ...
"only buy a coral once" ( unless it dies)
...they grow fast, multiple fast,etc
You'll learn how to frag pretty well any coral you buy, lol!!!

...and if you don't know how for a certain piece, search fragging on YouTube.

bizfromqc

soooooooo..... here's an update on the build.

1) Got the tank and acrylic pane for the sump area.
2) Started to derim the tank (for looks)
3) CRAAAAAAAAAK.
4) Broke the tank.

Back to square 1.

>:(

salvini55

ugh, brutal! I know the pain all too well. After I dropped my tank, I went outside to a parking ticket on my car... The double whammy! Keep pushing forward and it will turn out even better

bt

Quickly, to the store!

That sucks.  Hopefully attempt 2 goes much, much better.

daworldisblack

argh! Sorry to hear Eric. I was following along and was getting excited but am sorry to hear of this. Hopefully another tank is going to be set up soon!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bizfromqc

A minor, but yet, oh so frustrating setback LOL

I see a trip to BA in the near future...

daworldisblack

Quote from: bizfromqc on June 04, 2012, 07:30:05 AM
A minor, but yet, oh so frustrating setback LOL

I see a trip to BA in the near future...

Aw yeah ;D
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

leemay

it's good you cracked it now while empty!
check it out before you buy the next one, but i think all tanks that come with the plastic trim need it for support.
the glass on rimless tanks are much thicker than ones with plastic trim.

didn't mean to sound rude, just want you to look into it.

bizfromqc

Quote from: leemay on June 04, 2012, 07:28:11 PM
it's good you cracked it now while empty!
check it out before you buy the next one, but i think all tanks that come with the plastic trim need it for support.
the glass on rimless tanks are much thicker than ones with plastic trim.

didn't mean to sound rude, just want you to look into it.

"True" rimless tanks do have thicker glass but that's not to say other tanks (and I'm not talking about the braced ones) can't be safely derimmed (that's if you don't break them in the process though, DOH!  ;))

I would only feel confident doing that on smaller tanks where the width and height is still minimal and not on bigger/taller tanks. There's numerous accounts of people successfully doing it.  I appreciate the concern though, NO ONE wants a broken tank  :)

I feel the 15G is in that "safe" category but I may not do it on my next one for a different reason. I am planning on using some sort of cover for the sump and display area and the lip on top can serve that purpose. It's a little bit of an eyesore but I'm for function over style.

If only those nice rimless cube tanks weren't soooo expensive  ::)

bizfromqc

Alright back on track.

Bought another 15g and some acrylic for the in-tank sump area. I'll probably do the cutting this weekend.

As previously discussed, I decided to build the sump area in the back of the tank instead of the side to allow for more viewing/swimming area.

So here's what I'm planning on doing. Keep in mind that for now, all I really want in there is room for mechanical/chemical filtration, biological filtration and another chamber for the return pump and heater.

With this said, I'd like to design something that will allow me to insert a nano skimmer in there if I do one day need one (something like the Aquatic Life 115 nano skimmer).

I really like this design here (from mediabaskets.com)

So here's what I'm thinking now

Only uncertainty here is whether or not but the second separation where the blue line is or the purple line (so basically 3, versus 4 chambers).

On a side note, I've read good reviews about the AL Mini Skimmer 115 but was wondering if anyone here had first hand experience with it?

Thanks everyone

bt

There's a line coming down from the top to the left of the blue line, right?

If so, I'd say yes to the purple line, no to the blue line.  Better forced flow, IMO.

bizfromqc

Quote from: bt on June 08, 2012, 10:09:29 AM
There's a line coming down from the top to the left of the blue line, right?

Yes, water comes in skimmer chamber from the top, goes under to filter sock then over to cheato then back under to return pump.

bizfromqc

Started cutting the acrylic and dry fitting it in the tank to get an idea of what it would look like and if everything would fit.

The plan

The main seperation

The chambers

The return area and pump

Overall view

With lights

That's for now.