New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

1HR spawn

Started by wrm130, October 21, 2012, 08:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrm130

So I had posted here that I was looking for a female agassizi....In my introduction nonetheless.  I have had a male for a few weeks and wanted to find him a female.  Currently he is housed in a planted 10g.

Today, for the 3rd time in as many weeks I stopped in at BA innes, looking and hoping for a female.  I was sure I had spotted one today when I was in.  So I scooped her up and brought "her" home.

While acclimating her the male was waaaaay less than impressed.  Attacking the bag, flaring, trying to kill and intimidate her however he could.

When I released her the male "hit" her HARD several times.  My gf was freaking out begging me to separate them.  I opted to let them be for at least a few minutes.  I went for a smoke and came back.  The male was still turning on the female agressively but she would retaliate by flipping sideways and showing him her belly.  This went on for about 15mins.  I had another smoke.  When I returned both fish had disappeared.  In a 10g lol.  I found them behind a piece of driftwood.

Less than an hour after bringing her home the two had paired and spawned.  Here are two pics.  Am I luckly or what?!?!

daworldisblack

Lucky! All the best with the batch!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

76brian

That's pretty awesome...  I saw that tank at BA's, I didn't spot the female though. Good find!

fischkopp

Congrats! Looks like both were ready. ;)

But a word of caution here: even though they spawned within hours it won't mean that they will get along. Soon after the male will only mind his own business and he won't like intruders in his world; it will depend on the strength of the male to fend him off. So keep an eye on them over the next couple of days as agassizii males tend to be very aggressive in my experience.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

wrm130

I was really really lucky to get her.  She did not look very much like a "she" at the store at all...But I took a chance:)

Now, where do I go from here?  Feeding the fry?  A friend of mine has angels and says the parents "spit" chewed food at the fry. I'll research:)  Just looking for suggestions.

I may be able to find space to house the fry elsewhere...at what point should this be done?

Annnnnd.....If the happy couple have a spat....cardinal rule of just keeping an eye on them for a bit, letting them hopefully sort it out?

Thanks all for the replies!

exv152

Congratulations. I think one of the harder parts is done - finding a pair that are willing to spawn. But I wouldn't feed the fry for the first two days, then feed microworms and baby brine. I would also look into separating the male from the female and her fry. Best of luck.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bizfromqc

Quote from: exv152 on October 23, 2012, 09:20:59 AM
Congratulations. I think one of the harder parts is done - finding a pair that are willing to spawn. But I wouldn't feed the fry for the first two days, then feed microworms and baby brine. I would also look into separating the male from the female and her fry. Best of luck.

+1 for separating the male.

I'm no apisto expert but from past experiences, I'd also recommend keeping a small night lite on towards the area of the tank where the female is hanging out with her eggs. That way, she can keep an eye on her eggs and is less prone to get spooked/stressed when the lights go on (and can keep an eye on the other fish) and will be less likely to eat them.

I had a pair that spawned several time but never got to see any wrigglers. As soon as I got this tip from an apisto breeder in Montreal and applied it, It finally worked.

Good luck and keep the pics coming!

Fishnut

Could you put a divider in the tank to keep the pair apart or would 5 gallons each be too little space for the adults?

wrm130

Thanks all for the help!

I have live bbs, Daphnia and microworms so i'm set for food. The nightlight is a great idea! Easy enough.I will apply this to my breeding bettas too.

I got really worried about the idea of having to separate the male as I have nowhere else to put him.the divider is a great idea! I can try trimming one down so I don't have to mess up the tank too much.thanks again all!

Please keep the tips coming!

I'm still trying to figure out where to put the fry, eventually..if any survive:-)  fingers crossed!

Fishnut

Breeding fish leads to a severe case of MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome). 

You'll need a simple 5 gallon tank, glass top, simple light for baby watching only), sponge filter and heater.  No gravel, decor or anything so you can keep the tank very clean and you can stay on top of how many fry are surviving and how much the fry are eating.

wrm130

I'll have to wait until next time.I got home from work today and everything was gone:-(  oh, and they are in a tank by themselves

BizFromQC

Quote from: wrm130 on October 23, 2012, 10:55:00 PM
I'll have to wait until next time.I got home from work today and everything was gone:-(  oh, and they are in a tank by themselves

Don't worry too much about it, chances are they'll go at it again. Keep providing good conditions and you'll get rewarded soon enough. That's the fun part right? :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

wrm130

After selling my glasscats and threadfins I moved the pair into my 18g along with the ottos and unfortunate cherry shrimp.  Also, one other very orange apisto.  Anyways, today was water change/trimming day and I came downstairs to find the the pair in the middle of spawning.  Got it on vid too! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1o3K89Ab1s

I checked on them a few times and this time made sure to feed the female right after.  With my 30g long almost ready I now have some options for moving fish.

Stussi613

That's great!

I always found water change days were like turning on some Barry White and turning the lights down in my Discus tank...
I haz reef tanks.

sas

fischkopp

Nice video! I was just wondering how long the assassin snail would be allowed to stay, when the female came around the wood and picked it up. :)

Your male is a quite nice specimen.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

wrm130

Thank you fk:)  He's not however the friendliest fellow lol

Unfortunately, even with a nightlight, the eggs all got "assassinated" by assassins over a 2 day period...Playing the waiting game again.