New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Colour of Leleupis have Faded - Solution?

Started by dpatte, May 10, 2003, 02:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

I recently bought a batch of adult leleupis that where bright lemon yellow. But within two weeks of buying them they mostly lost this bright yellow colour.

Any ideas why? Can I bring the colour back?

Troy

dpatte : what are you feeding them? What were there water conditions before? Do you think they are stressed at all? Have you added something new to your tank? how long after they went in to this tank did they start to fade in color? Post some more info and I might be able to help! Neolamprologus Leleupi was one of my first cichlids. Cheers..... Troy.

dpatte

Well, They are in a 137 gallon (5 x 2 x 2) and dont seem really stressed and look fine - except for their colour loss.

I suspect it may have to do with food or water chemistry. The water is unprepared ottawa water. The food i give them is nothing special.

I know some people go whole hog to simulate tanganyikan water. I am asking how to do that as another question on the board, so if you have ideas on that track - maybe its better to answer there.

Troy

dpatte : If it is not stress (you are sure no other cichlids are chewing on them ) and your tank has lots of space. The water that they were in has not changed much.("some people go whole hog to simulate tanganyikan water") Most people do not consider that  most of the cichlids in canada were raised here in north america.Especialy common popular types like leleupis. Breeders put in some salt, but do large water changes with mostly unchanged local water supplies.
Then I would say it is food related.Most of a cichlids color comes from the food it eats. Spirulina contains a very high percentage of Carotenoid pigments that give your cichlid the great, outstanding colors that you want. So you need to try a new food high in carotene. Also I recomend brine shrimp every 4 days.
You should also according to a few books I have read "avoid rearing juveniles over dark substrate" It affects there coloration in an addverse mannor. hope this helps..... Troy.