New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

120 Gallon Feedback

Started by lucius, May 24, 2013, 10:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucius

I have been going to BA's for the past few weeks trying to decide between a 120XH (60" x 18" x 26") and 125 (72" x 18" x 22") gallon tank.  The 120 gallon would suit me better based on my current layout in the basement but I'm worried that I may regret not getting the 125 instead.

Anyone have any feedback with a 120 vs 125 gallon?

And to make things even more interesting, there is an individual on kijiji selling a 120.

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-120-Gallon-Tank-and-Solid-White-Stand-W0QQAdIdZ487400966

Mike L

120 gallons deal sounds great to me but check for leaks.

robt18

My biggest "warning" on the 120 is that you should really plan ahead for any upgrades you might look at in the future, because a lot of stuff isn't made for/fir properly on a 5 foot tank. In retrospect, I would have gone 6 ft for more options in lighting.

If you like the height of the 120, 150 gal tanks are also available (72x18x28).

Mike L

Not sure what you mean by stuff not fitting. do you mean lighting and covers.

exv152

I had the same dilemma, if you can call it that, before I bought my 125g. I was contemplating the 120 tall too but in the end, like rob says, the apparel is harder to come by because of the dimensions. Especially the lighting. If you ever plan to make your own canopy and go with some stock lights, it's hard to find 60 inch fixtures and bulbs. Also, because I do planted tanks, plants are a huge consideration, and the deeper your tank is the stronger the light will need to be to penerate. I ended up buying the 125g because the 72 inch wide front panel is just panoramic. Visually it's awesome to look at, and everyone who comes down to my basement automatically gravitates to the 125g. You won't regret it. Plus if you ever want to upgrade to 150 the footprint is the same (72x18).
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

robt18

As stated ^^ , a lot of higher end lights come in 2', 3', 4' and 6' sizes. Doesn't work out well for the 5' tank in any way.

Mike L

I recently bought an Aquaticlife  Led actinic bulb at the big Als Christmas sale for my 75 gallon. They had a 48" for $168.00 and a 36" for $99.00. Bought the 36 and installed No problem with coverage. However I can see your point and I do miss my 125. Btw that light makes the fish colour absolutely pop. Well worth the money.

lucius

I was on some other forums and many also echoed the issue concerning difficulties in getting 60" tubes. 

So today I went to BA's to specifically look at the lights. Both 120XH gallon canopies they had on display was not the entire 60" length.  I think they both had two 48" tubes in them but I'm not 100% sure, didn't have a measuring tape.  The two 125 gallons had a 72" canopy with four, 36" tubes. Again, I'm not entirely sure but that's what they look like.

exv152

Yeah those 36" lights are 4x 30w t8's and are fine for a fish only tank, but if you want plants you'd have to upgrade the lighting.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

ray

Giesmann and ATI 60" 80W HO T5's would work.

ray

Achilles

Do you have an option to suspend the canopy or light fixture. I used to light  my 6 foot 210 gallon with only a 48 inch tek fixture and I as am to light it just fine with no dark edges with it raised 9 inches above the tank. So if suspended is an option you can go with either tank really.

lucius

Quote from: Achilles on May 26, 2013, 07:11:49 AM
Do you have an option to suspend the canopy or light fixture. I used to light  my 6 foot 210 gallon with only a 48 inch tek fixture and I as am to light it just fine with no dark edges with it raised 9 inches above the tank. So if suspended is an option you can go with either tank really.

Yes, I can do that.  The tank would be in an unfinished basement so I can hang the light from the ceiling joists.  I actually use to light my two smaller tanks with one regular ceiling fluorescent fixture.