New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

40g breeder

Started by missavgp, April 17, 2014, 03:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucius

I resealed an older 20 gallon recently and found the V shape of the caulking tool created too fine of a line of silicon along the seams.  I ended up redoing it and used the side edge of the tool to feather the silicon instead.

Mike L

There are 2 sides to the tool. Different widths. However the thickness can be controlled by the angle you apply. A little practice and voila.

A bead of caulk is about the connection points. It's not made or broken on the feather.  You need enough space between the pieces to have some caulk. If you apply caulk to the seam on two pieces of glass that fit tight then all you really have is glass with caulk on top. Recipe for disaster.

Think this. Your wearing shoes and step into mud. Easy in since you dissipate the mud but when you pull out suction takes over. Same principle. You apply caulk press together, clamp,feather the edges to make a clean look and your good to go. When the pressure from the water presses out it's the same as the shoe.
Just my 1 penny.

Stussi613

You're right, many people make the mistake of pushing the panels too close together and they don't leave enough silicone between the panels.   On a 40 breeder it's not the end of the world if the silicone is thin between the panels, most of the strength will come from the overlapped silicone on the corners.   I much prefer using tape to the tool because you can get a nice bead of silicone right into the corner with your finger and I find it easier than the tool.
I haz reef tanks.

missavgp

Hi all, I know it's been a while since I posted here but I haven't had a chance to work on the tank since my last post. I finally got the glass panel off and the interior silicone removed. Once I get it wiped with acetone to remove the remaining film and clean all the glass with vinegar water I'll be ready to reassemble the tank. I am resealing the inside of the tank as well to make sure I won't have any leaks.
I attached a few pics. Please excuse the diaper boxes as they are holding up the brace until the glass is back on.
And the glass ended up coming out in two pieces...might try cutting them to be covers for other tanks.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

missavgp

ready for the water test tonight. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me that the seals are good so I can get this tank up and running!

charlie

guck

It's almost 22h... Is everything ok?  Is the camera rolling? :)  Hope all goes well.  At least you have diapers to catch any leak LOL

missavgp

LOL yeah we needed them. It wasn't bad, but it is leaking. Going to try again but it'll have to wait till everything is dry again.

missavgp

So I removed the silicone, redid the seals, waited 72 hrs (overkill I know but I had to work the night it would have been 48) and after 24hrs of a water test there are no leaks. Hurray I can drain and 'scape tonight!

guck

That's good news.  Don't forget the scape pictures :).

missavgp

Here are some pics now that it's done. The betta females in the later pics are ones I bred.

Jeff1192

Looks great. I'm sure you're thrilled to finally have it up and running again. That must have been so frustrating.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

Certainly a great start.
If I may suggest one thing- I would excavate the front 2-3 inches of sand & soil  against the glass & back fill it with all sand to hide the 2 layer of sand & soil.
Regards Errol

missavgp

thanks for the advice Errol! lol that will definitely help the aesthetics, I'll try to do it tonight and take some new pics.

And yeah I'm really glad it's back up and running. Luckily I was smart and put the filter on another tank to get it cycled so the things went much faster this time anyway.

Shawn84

Is that a halfmoon mustard dragon female?
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

missavgp

no, I wish! it's a halfmoon copper dragon female, I have 5 of them from my last breeding